November 27, 2008

Kasoori-Methi Parathas


Happy Thanksgiving to you all!! I am sorry for my unexplained absence from blogging! My parents are visting from India for a couple of weeks (yay!!), but since the visit is really short (just for 3 weeks!), I am keeping back from blogging. Thank you for all your concerns and wishes!

Most of you would be busy over the long weekend, going on a quick getaways, whipping up a great thanksgiving meal or having guests over. Well, we have a Thanksgiving get-together at the place of a great friend of mine! But I just thought I would post a quick recipe which has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but is a recently discovered favourite of mine. I've never used kasoori methi (let alone methi leaves!) in my cooking before and this was a welcome treat for me. I absolutely loved the parathas, wish I'd come across it earlier. Again, this is a very common recipe, but still wanted to share with you, my new found love!

I also would like to give all of you a hint that something special is brewing on Tasty treats! The announcement will be made sometime next week. So stay tuned for the exciting and fun activity that I am putting together with a lot of help from my dear friend, Bhags of Crazy Curry!! So friends, please do check back next week and join in the fun!



Recipe:

Wheat flour (Atta) - 2 cups
Kasoori methi - 1/2 cup
Red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - to knead into a dough

Method:

Put all the ingredients together into a bowl.

Add just enough warm water to make into a dough which is smooth (but not sticky).

Keep aside for 10 minutes.

Divide the dough into 8-10 balls.

Roll out each dough ball into a circle of about 6-8 in.

Heat a griddle and place a dough circle on the hot griddle.

Cook until light brown spots appear on the first side.

Flip the paratha over and cook until the second side is cooked, showing light brown spots.

Drizzle a bit of ghee/butter/oil if needed on both sides and flip again.

Serve hot.

Hope you all enjoyed your visit to Tasty treats. Please do check back next week for the special announcement!

9 comments:

Finla said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
Here it is no long weekendas they don't celebrate.

Dori said...

Delicious bread, I love it... Wish I had some for breakfast!

Deepthi Shankar said...

i love the flavour of kasuri methi .. i loved the pic

Anonymous said...

Boy! I need to take some photography tutorials from you.

Cham said...

Lovely parathas, Happy Thanksgiving!

Rachel said...

believe it or not..Am yet to taste kasoori-methi parathas...

ranji said...

i simply love methi paraths...never used kasoori methi but have used fresh methi leaves to make parathas and dosas...very flavorful..love it..

ranji said...

cant wait to see what u gals are coming up next week :)..

Unknown said...

JZ , thats a fun event, I have already baked something, which I can call my masterpiece ;-)) Will be posting soon :)