April 10, 2008

Noodle doodle



Another day, another discovery!! I spent a part of the morning working on my blog, blog browsing and caring for my toddler. When it was almost noon, I realised that I didnt have anything for lunch. But again I was in the mood for experimenting and so was thinking about what to prepare for lunch. My lil one, the never-hungry miss, was running around playing and I thought I will make something that she would love to have - Noodles. In India, we get a quick-make noodles called Maggi, which has a taste-maker powder along with it and gives it the yummy masala flavor that we just love!! It is so popular than when you talk about noodles, everybody just assume that it is the Maggi noodles! But my aunt makes tasty noodles starting with plain noodles and that too with just a few ingredients, so I tried to recreate her recipe from my memory. I started with lomein noodles, added some veggies and sauces. I was pretty happy with the result because my li'l one ate the whole thing served to her which has happened very few times! This is probably an Indian-ised version of noodles, but it sure suits our tastes.

Recipe (Makes 2 medium sized servings):

Lomein noodles - 4 oz
Carrot - 1 medium, cut into thin matchsticks
Green beans - 5, cut into matchsticks
Green peas - 3/4 cup
Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
Black pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Soy sauce - 2 tsp
Tomato ketchup - 2 tsp
Sesame oil
Sesame seeds - 1/2 tsp toasted, for garnish (optional)

Method:

Cook the noodles in boiling water according to packaging instructions.

Drain and drizzle vegetable oil over it to prevent sticking. Toss to coat.

Toast the sesame seeds in a skillet until light brown. Keep aside.

Heat sesame oil in a pan and saute the garlic until fragrant.

Add the carrots and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes.

Saute the beans along with the carrots until slightly cooked, about a minute.

Now add the peas and stir until the peas are also cooked and tender, about 2-3 minutes.

Sprinkle the pepper powder and mix well.

Toss in the cooked noodles and mix in the veggies.

Pour the soysauce and ketchup on the noodles and toss to coat.

Stir until the noodles and sauces are heated through.

Serve hot, garnished with toasted sesame seeds.

Enjoy!

Tip:
  1. I used frozen beans and peas, but had fresh carrots.

No comments: