March 25, 2009

Ginger Chutney ( Inji Curry)

Inji Curry or Ginger Chutney is one of my favourite condiments from Kerala cuisine. Last year, we had my in-laws visit us here in MN. During that time, I had my MIL prepare some of her signature Kerala dishes and had posted about them. I still have a few left from last year's collection, some which I had not had a chance to share with you all. This recipe for Inji curry is simple and very delicious. Inji curry is usually a must have during "Onam sadya" which is a festive meal served on plantain leaves along with rice and a wide assortment of curries and condiments. The perfect combination of sweetness, sourness and spicyness makes this simple chutney one of the tastiest sides to an Indian meal. But we dont need to wait for festivals to enjoy such fine curries and condiments, do we!? ;-)

I thought that I'll have my MIL make this and keep in the fridge for use after she is gone. But I am not exaggerating when I say that it was gone in days. It was lip-smackingly good. Try this out and you'll love it. Since she worked without measuring spoons, the amount of ingredients are approximates. Please feel free to work around with the recipe to tailor it to your tastes.


Recipe :

Ginger, chopped very fine - 1 1/4 cups
Green chillies - 5 serranos, chopped very fine
Onion, small - 1/2, chopped fine
Kashmiri chilli powder - 3 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Tamarind paste (concentrated) - 1 tsp
Jaggery - 1/4 of one block
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - as needed
Curry leaves - as needed

Method:

Chop the ginger and green chillies finely.

Heat oil and pop the mustard seeds and curry leaves (if using).

Saute the ginger, onions and green chillies until the ginger turns brown.

The mixture should be dry and the ginger should still have a bite to it.

Add the chilly powder and turmeric powder and saute well.

Stir in the tamarind paste and add water and salt to taste.

Allow the mixture to come to a boil.

Toss in the grated jaggery and cook until the chutney comes to a desired consistency.

Ginger Chutney can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.


Tips:

  1. The recipe worked well for our family. Please feel free to adapt the recipe to your tastes.
  2. Reduce the amount of chilly powder for a milder chutney.

The deadline for "Lets go nuts : Almonds" is March 31, 2009. So friends, please hurry in your entries to jz.tastytreats@gmail.com.

Have a great day!!

15 comments:

Finla said...

Before even cooming here i knew i will be drooling on the ginger chutney.
Looks firey delicious.
Reminds me of home when mom used to make this especially for Onam.

FH said...

AHHHH!!! Looks at that lovely red color, must be from good quality red chilli pd. Excellent chutney, must taste great with Bhakris. I will try! :)

Trupti said...

chutney looks mouthwatering JZ.. bookmarked it. Love the chutney container..

Dori said...

That must smell and taste so good... seems to me like it would be great to eat for a cold... I love the color :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love ginger chutney .. nice recipe

Lavanya said...

chutney lloks so colorful n yummy!!
i love the jar..so nice :)

Sum Raj said...

asusual, ur presentation and recipe are just outstanding...

Sanghi said...

This is amazing.. Oooo hot..! Do send some tomatish dishes to my FIL-Tomato event by31st..!:)

Bharti said...

Wow! That is soooo yummy looking. No seriously, that looks super delicious.

Khaugiri said...

Wow it's looking so yummmmmm. I ate it at my friend's place on Onam.

Chutneytales said...

The chutney looks extraordinarily delicious..I love the bowl too :)

Gopi Shah said...

I really love the color of chutney! This fiery chutney is really great for us Minnesotans in this cold weather.

A_and_N said...

I'm making this. The colour entices me!

Pria@HC said...

book marking this.. Mmm...

Noor said...

gift at my blog :)