March 17, 2009

Pineapple Pudding - the one you'll go nuts for!!

Once in a while I come across a recipe, which I would be absolutely excited about, which I am ready to guarantee success for. It makes me wish you could all taste how awesome it is from my post or I could give you samples from my kitchen! This pineapple pudding recipe is one such recipe which is truly out-of-the-world.

I tasted this awesome dessert at a gathering of friends here in MN. We were all blown away by the delicate flavor of the pudding, wanting more and more. My dear friend Jilby gave me the ingredients that went into the pudding and it was so easy to make. Since then I have made the pudding twice, once for a gathering of some other friends of mine (where it was an instant hit) and last weekend, for JM is absolutely crazy about this one!! I experimented with the recipe to find a proportion of ingredients that suited me.


I cant say enough about this pudding! The pudding is very light with no overwhelming sweetness. The tartness of the pineapple chunks against the pudding works really well. The pineapple flavor as a whole, transports you to an exotic island where it is utmost ecstasy for your taste buds. The cool whip gives a very light airy texture to the pudding where as the heavier elements like crushed pineapple and almonds sink to the bottom. After refrigeration, the pudding sets softly because of the gelatin in the Jello. I know this is one recipe that I am going to make for guests and gatherings.

I guess I would also experiment with other flavors of Jello and its corresponding fruit/s. But I am sure nothing would give you the comfort that you would get from this Pineapple Pudding. Thanks Jilby, for the recipe!!



Recipe (Makes enough for an 8*8 square pan):

Jello, Island pineapple flavor - 1 packet (3oz)
Water - 2 cups, divided
Condensed milk - 1 can (14oz)
Cool whip - 1 tub (8 oz)
Crushed pineapple - 1 can (20oz)
Slivered almonds - 1/2 cup

Method:

Prepare the Jello according to package instructions. For that boil 1 cup of water and add to the jello powder. Mix well to dissolve. Then add 1 cup of cold water and mix well.

To the Jello, add the condensed milk and stir well.

Fold in the cool whip gently until no lumps remain. Use the whisk to do the final mixing.

Drain the crushed pineapple.

Add the pineapple pieces to the pudding mix.

Toss in the almond slivers and stir well.

Transfer the pudding into an 8*8 square pan or individual serving molds.

Decorate with a handful of almond slivers.

Refrigerate atleast for 4 hours, or until the pudding sets.

Serve chilled and enjoy!


Tips:

  1. Instead of crushed pineapple, pineapple chunks can also be used.
  2. The amount of pineapple can be changed to taste.
  3. Use almond slivers or blanched almonds chopped coarsely.

I am sending this almond rich dessert to "Lets go nuts : Almonds" being hosted here right on Tasty treats. Check out the event announcement for more details. The last date is March 31, 2009 and multiple entries are welcomed.

Have a great day!

21 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

i will do anything for pineapple, seriously.. no kidding. i go to costco and buy 2 pineapples as i finish 1 in less than 2 days. lol

lovely pics JZ.... amazing. will try.

suvi said...

I make something very similar with cherries..will post it sometime. Pineapple sounds yum, your post is so compelling that I have to try this one out.

Divya Kudua said...

Hey JZ...yummy yummy pudding...truly delicious and I underrstand when you say the taste is immense and cant be described.I've made this[a very similar recipe]and posted on my blog.Check out my version http://divyascookbook.blogspot.com/2008/05/pineapple-pudding.html

[though nowhere near yours in pretty-meter,but tastewise,I am guessing both were equally delicious]!!

I have made something for the almond event and will be posting it soon!!

Purnima said...

I m drooling at the lovely pics, neat garnish n decoration! Wow..bookmarked! :D TKs a bunch!

Sherin said...

wow.. that looks amazing JZ.... hats off to ur presentation ideas and skills....
I had one querry...whats jello... is it same as china grass coz I do a similar recipe and it has china grass in it...

Priya Suresh said...

Woww wat a gorgeous dessert, looks amazing...thats a great work with pineapple JZ..

A_and_N said...

I love the pics! :) Pineapple is one of my fave flavours!

Bhawna said...

In Ur blog there is no need to taste the dish infact, ur picture says it all. Umm yum ur pudding is absolutely delicious and ur presentation, make me feel what i'm doing in this blog world.
Keep it up...I love it

Meenal Mehta said...

hi JZ,

lovely recipe ..glad I landed here , my first time on your blog

visit mine sometime :)
-Meenal

Hema said...

Came here through mahimaa's Santa's holiday Challenge Gift.Really nice post with pineapple.I like it....

Bharti said...

Looks very pretty!

Dori said...

Wow, that is great... I will definitely have to bookmark this!

Trupti said...

Pineapple pudding looks mouthwatering JZ ...amazing photos

Anonymous said...

This is really tempting. Actually its come timely. I just bought a packet of jelly powder and wanted to use it to set a pudding. I've got an idea of how to do it now. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I make these with different summer fruits, But have never used condensed milk. just cool whip. the milk will probably give a more matured pudding texture.. should try it. Lovely pictures!

HYPERVIPER said...

I tried this - it rocks!!

Lavanya said...

amazing..first time her i guess..very nice blog n nice pics too..i want to try this pineapple pudding..mouthwatering!!

Marie said...

Hi there

Thanks for the recipe!

I trued to coy and paste a url from the comments (Divya Kudua's recipe)on the main page of the post, and a window popped up saying 'This blog is copywrited.' Obviously to protect your content and pics?

Cool!

How did you do that? I would like to try the same on my blog...

knitandputt said...

thanks for the recipe. I've made it twice already, and plan to make it again for a banana split trifle for my husband's office party tomorrow. it is delicious!

Anonymous said...

Could you pls tell me which stores in the US sell Pineapple jello. Also, if pineapple flavor is not available, which other flavor can i use instead.
thanks

@the_whisk_affair said...

Any grocery store in the US (including Walmart) should have pineapple jello - its called Island Pineapple Flavor.

I have not tried any other flavor combinations, but I'm sure others would work fine! See the comments section - aquadaze makes a cherry dessert, check that out if you would like to!