June 18, 2008

Banana-pepper fritters (Chilli baji/ Mulaku baji)


This is probably one of the common street side foods in India. As most of you are aware, this month's Monthly Blog Patrol theme is Street Food. I guess it gave all of us a good excuse to indulge in some of the tastiest snacks with which many of us have memories associated! I have a good memory to share with you. When I was a child I was not that into, nor was I allowed to have a lot of these street side snacks, eventhough I got many of these from the "bakeries" of Kerala. I dont remember the first time I had Chilli baji, but all I know is that I have loved them for so long! After my marriage, three of the intial years were spent apart from JM, in a hostel, because I was pursuing my Master's degree. Every weekend I would get on a bus for the two-hour journey back from my college to JM's place. He would come to pick me up at the bus-stop with a small packet of these yummy, crispy chilli bajis. I would gobble them up in the car itself, on the way back home, with much glee and satisfaction!! Thus my memories came flooding back when I saw these bajis on Injipenn's blog Ginger and Mango. Eventhough it wasnt exactly a fine dining treat (BTW, we had a lot of those too ;-)), I still recollect those initial sparks of love with much warmth!! Who knew MBP would bring back such fond memories! I wish I could relive those days! ;-)


This is the first time I've made these at home and its been a very long time since I've had them. I have made a few tweaks to the original recipe which can be found here. Try these out and possibly your own memories will come flooding back! This is my entry to the MBP - Street Food hosted by Sia of Passionate about life and spice. Enjoy!


Recipe (Makes 5 bajis) :

Banana peppers - 5
Chickpea flour (Besan) - scant 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Asafoetida - a small pinch
Red color - a pinch (optional)
Ginger - 1 tsp, finely minced
Water - about 1/4 cup or as needed
Oil - for frying

Method:

Mix all the ingredients except banana peppers to form a somewhat thick batter.

Make slits on the sides of the peppers without going all the way through or without splitting the pepper.

Dip the peppers in the batter.

Deep fry the peppers in hot oil on medium heat, until crisp and cooked.

Drain on paper towels.

Serve hot with ketchup.



Tips:

  1. The red color added to the batter is entirely optional. No additional flavor is imparted.
  2. Banana peppers are not very hot. But if you are not fond of spicy snacks, either remove the seeds without splitting the peppers or do not consume the end near the stem.
  3. If there is excess batter, you can also use onions, potatoes, cauliflower etc to make yummy pakodas!

19 comments:

FH said...

Gorgeous JZ, I made these with Banana peppers, almost had the fire dept called at home! Loved it though!:D

Finla said...

Now you are making me drool for them.
I wanted to pick one and just dip in that glass with ketchup.
If i had them this moment i will also gobbel up few.

Sum Raj said...

wht a nice presentation.....woo i luv the spicyness taste of mulaga...its looks delicious...

Illatharasi said...

Great presentation..... you rock always in the pictures!!!! We used to get them at Marina beach in Chennai.... I miss them ;)

Suganya said...

O O... this is my fav. This is called as milagai bajji in tamil. They are very famous in Marina Beach - Chennai. When ever I go to beach, I have never come without having it. I love it so much. Ur pictures take me to that memory. Looks great YUM! Nice entry...

ranji said...

awesome JZ...i love love love this especially if i have cool badam milk with in my other hand:)...i make the same batter except for the addition of ginger ...i am sure that will simply add to the taste....nice choice :)

Jamie said...

JZ, these look so wonderful. I just finished lunch and these are making me hungry again! Great presentation too! :)

Chef Jeena said...

I love this recipe so much!

Trupti said...

woooooooow JZ what a presentation !! wonderful.

About Upvaasachi Bhajani.. I gave the link in ingredients.. Click Here

Srikitchen said...

hi jz
happy to inform u that i have added ur blog to my blogroll.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Hey Asha, what happened with the bajis?? Did it smoke a lot? ;-)

Come on over happycook, I wish I could bring you here for some!

Thanks Suma, Illatharasi and Sukanya!

Ranji, Jamie and Jeena, I am glad you all liked it! Thanks!

Thanks Trupti, and thanks for the follow up..!

Great Srilekha!

Rachel said...

with that You just took me back to my younger days....

great pics as always

Swati Raman Garg said...

iam so sorry JZ dont run behind me with a broomstick but i dont know what r banana peppers... arent they d simple chillie used for chilli bajji?

Sia said...

oh boy!!! don't they look hot!!! JZ, absolutely fabulous entry. thank you...

Rachel said...

There's a lovely something in return for you on my blog...

Anonymous said...

Thats okay dear; no sorries :) I just mentioned it to u coz i managed to find out it is u :D

@the_whisk_affair said...

Loved doing that Rachel :-)Thanks.

Swati, banana peppers are yellow long peppers in the shape of bananas. they are not as hot as the small green chillies. Theones I got were not so long too!!

Thanks, my pleasure Sia!

Its an honor u remembered me, Rachel!!

We're good Skribles!

Bharti said...

Love the presentation!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Bharti!