June 8, 2008

Cauliflower fritters


Everyone knows how it is to want to do something, but keep on procrastinating, finally having to rush to make it in time! I am talking about my desire to send an entry to this month's Monthly Mingle hosted by Mansi Desai of Fun and Food and started by Meeta of Whats for Lunch Honey?. I had been thinking about making something for this event, something unique, from the day the event was announced. But finally ended up with something not that unique, but nevertheless tasty!! :-) I had made mushroom parmesan crostini a couple of weeks back with the event in mind, but since I was unable to take good pictures, I counted it out. I was bouncing off different ideas in my mind (crackers and spread, deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms and many more).

Finally it was the weekend before the deadline and since I was short on time, I zeroed in on Cauliflower fritters. It is probably one of the most preferred Indian appetizer, and somewhat easy too. Since I was confused about whether eggs were allowed, I opted without and it turned out to be just as tasty. Try these appetizers out, you will love them, while these are on their way to Monthly Mingle - Appetizers and Hors'Doeuvres at Mansi's Fun and Food.


Recipe:

Cauliflower - 1, small
All-purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Corn flour - 1/4 cup
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
Red chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - about 3/4 cup
Red food color - a pinch (optional)

Method:

Cut the cauliflower and separate into florets.

If the florets are big, cut them into halves or quarters as desired.

Make a batter with the rest of the ingredients.

Heat oil in a saucepan/kadai.

Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter and deep fry at medium-low until golden brown.

Drain on paper towels.

Serve hot with tomato ketchup or chutney of your choice.

Tips:

  1. The batter made with the above mentioned amount of water is somewhat loose. If you want the batter to thickly coat the florets, add less amount of water.
  2. The batter can also be made with the addition of an egg + water.
  3. The fritters should be made at medium-low temperature for the cauliflower to cook completely. If fried at a high temperature, the outside can burn before the vegetable is cooked.
  4. Another method to ensure the doneness of the fritters is to cook the cauliflower (atleast partially) in the microwave before dipping in batter and frying.

I have a few awards to share today! Shubha of Chutki bhar pyar bestowed upon me two different awards a couple of days back. She is one of the fellow bloggers with whom I am increasingly getting familiar with. She's such a nice soul, I really like her as my friend! Thanks a lot Shubha for your thoughtfulness. I got my first ever "Rocking girl blogger" award and the "Good Chat Blog" award! It feels really good to be acknowledged, to be rewarded for your efforts. And these are just the way to do that. It feels great to be on the receiving end of these awards and better to be the one spreading it around! :-) Can I send them back to you too, Shubha!??



I would like to pass on the Rocking girl blogger award to:

Neha of Tasty recipes
Ranji of Ranji's kitchen corner
Trupti of Recipe center
Uma of Essence of Andhra
EC of Simple Indian Food





I would like to pass on the Good Chat Blog award to:

Mansi of Fun and Food
Deeba of Passionate about baking
Sunita of Sunita's world
Happycook of My kitchen treasures
Notyet100 of Asankhana


Thanks again to all my readers and supporters. Love you all!!

One more note: I know some of you were aware that I had entered my Black forest cake for the GCC: Kid friendly cooking event. I am pleased to announce that I am the third place winner, thanks to all your support and votes. A heartfelt thanks to all of you who supported me with your kind words and votes.

Dont forget to chip-in for Bri. Click here for details.


31 comments:

FH said...

Congratulations on winning!:)

Those fritter beauties looks so pretty, nice treat indeed. Enjoy the awards. Hugs.

EC said...

Cauliflower fritters look lovely...Congrats on the award and thanks for passing it to me..Congrats for winning the third place too..

ranji said...

congrats JZ.U really deserve ur awards...the cauliflower fritters simply rock..our absolute fav here during tea time..
so kind and thoughtful to pass on the award to me..thank u so much JZ...i really appeciate it:)

Mansi said...

boy, those fritters look appetizing! thanks for the award girl, and also for sharing this delicious recipe with us at the MM!:) you have a great blog too, so keep up the good work!:)

Suganya said...

Hi JZ....
Cauliflower fritters looks good. Looks so crunchy. Nice presentation. So cute.

Congrats on ur third place. Loved ur black forest cake so much...

Uma said...

Wow, yummy cauliflower fritters! nice entry. Congrats on the awards and on winning the GCC. Thank you so much for thinking about me dear JZ! I am totally flattered. Have a good day.

vandana rajesh said...

those fritters would make delicious appetisers...can tell by their look:)

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Hey JZ... the fritters look just awesome... I gonna try this on wednesday.... I have invited some guests home... guess this will be a nice fingerfood:)

Congrats on ur lovely awards... u deserve it.. and thanx for such sweet words about me... I am flattered...:P

Hetal said...

These fritters are my favorite and look tempting....nice presentation..

Finla said...

Beautifiiul picture and delicious fritters.
Better late than never

Finla said...

Yeah thankyou for the award :-))))))

Beyond Curries said...

Congrats on your awards.

The fritters look very cute and such a creative idea of serving the ketchup in a shot glass!

Vani said...

Fritters look great, JZ!

Cham said...

Lovely ur fritters, very appetizing one

Ivy said...

Hi JZ and thanks for inviting me to come over and see your beautiful blog. Why does this does not surprise me? Everyone I have met from India make such beautiful creations, presentations and photography.
I sent my entry to Mansi just a few minutes ago but I am so embarrassed because I remembered that it was the deadline just before lunch and then I had to leave and returned just an hour ago. I haven't had the chance to check out your recipes yet but shall be back soon.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the award...
That platter is so appetizing..

sunita said...

jz,those are some cute looking appetisers :-)
Congrats on the awards and thanks for passing one over :-)

Sum Raj said...

congrates JZ....cauliflower looks lovly and coulourful snack

Sangeeth said...

congrats on the award...wow those fritters are yummy and beautifully clicked.....

Neha said...

thanx JZ for passing the award to me, n a gr8 entry...

Hetal said...

Hey check out my blog,have something for you..

bha said...

the presentation is wonderful....fritters look all inviting....congrats for the awards

@the_whisk_affair said...

Hey Asha, thanks and a big hug to you to for being a regular visitor to my blog! :-)

Thanks EC and Ranji, enjoy ur awards!!

Hi Mansi, thanks a lot for the compliments and wishing you the best putting together the roundup!

Thanks Sukanya and Vandana! Hey Uma, enjoy ur award and thanks for leaving a comment!

Hi Shubha, I mean everything I wrote abt you - love ya lots!!

Thanks Hetal and happycook...yeah, better late than never! :-)

Madhuram, Vani and Cham, thanks for visting! :-)

Hi Ivy, welcome to my blog and thanks for all the warm words! Come again, you are always welcome!

Thanks Vani, Sunita and Suma! Try these out sometime!

Thanks Sangeeth, Neha and Bhags!

Hetal, I am coming over now...

Rachel said...

1. Congrats on the black forest win!
2. Con grats on the remaining awards.
3.Simple but very presentable appetizers....

Purnima said...

Congrats on ur awards, JZ!The fritters look yum!

Sia said...

lovely fritters and one my fav too. and congrats on the awards :)

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot Rachel, Purnima and Sia! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey those cauliflower fritters look really yummy!
Congrats on the awards!
I have a surprise for u on my blog at http://foodwithapinchoflove.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/my-first-meme/

notyet100 said...

thanks a ton for theawrd...soory i amclaimin solate...congrtas,.for the award,.nd third place,.fritters look yummy..

Unknown said...

Congrats on all the awards JZ:) You deserve it:) Those fritters looks delicious:)

Swati Raman Garg said...

JZ first of am so so sorry for not visiting for so long.... i know not an excuse but u know i was updating my blogroll and i wanted to add urs and there i realized that i havent visite for long what a dumbo....
these fritters r too good re... and as ususal d pics r classy