March 24, 2008

Frosty Coffee-Almond pie


Being a dessert enthusiast, I wanted to bring a new dessert to the table for Easter. But I knew that I would have my hands full with making the rest of the meal by myself (just one of the million times we miss our family in India). So I searched for something which would take minimal preparation time, but would still be considered home-made or rather home assembled ;-). I was going through a cook book when this recipe caught my eye. Its super easy, would take little time for preparation, but would still be a great finale to any meal. It brings together two of the well-liked flavors of cookies and ice-cream. I apologize for the slightly melted pie in the picture (it melted in the hot kitchen!) and I really hope that everyone would give this frrrozen treat a try ! :-)

Recipe (Serves 8)


Creme filled chocolate sandwich cookies - 1 and 1/2 cup crushed finely (about 18)
Melted butter - 3 tbsp
Coffee ice cream - 1 qt, slightly softened
Almonds - 1/2 cup sliced
Hot fudge sauce - 1 cup warmed (optional)


Method:

In a small bowl, mix the crushed cookies and butter until well blended.

Press the mixture on the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9 in glass pie-plate.

Freeze for about 15 minutes or until firm.

Carefully spread the softened ice-cream evenly over the cookie crust.

Sprinkle with almonds.

Freeze for about 3 hours or until firm.

Remove the ice-cream pie from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving.

Slice and serve with hot fudge sauce.

Store covered in the freezer.

Source: Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook.


Tips:
  1. Coffee ice-cream can be substituted with any other flavor to your liking. (But I guess it would not be called a frosty "coffee"-almond pie !!)
  2. Ready made chocolate crumb crust can also be purchased to make it easier.
  3. For tips on how to toast nuts, click here.

No comments: