April 21, 2009

Spinach Cheese Swirls


Things are definitely getting more hectic around here... I am going to start volunteering at the U for a couple of months. So each day is packed with actvities like preparing for the work, finding a pre-school for lil LM and finishing up the house-hold stuff before things get real crazy around here!! I am trying to enjoy the last few days of freedom and savoring the time alone with my lil girl. Even before starting work, all those days whining about sitting at home have started to seem like a bad idea ;-). Eventhough I know that if we were in India, LM would've started Kindergarten, it feels hard to let go!! SIGH!! JM is wondering why I am sad about sending her to pre-school for the whole week. Well, it might be because I am used to being with her 24/7!! I am so sorry, am I bringing you all down? I just had to let it out somewhere..... Anyways, lets get into our recipe for today!

I got this recipe from a small recipe booklet of Pepperidge farm puff pastry sheets. This is a very simple and straight-forward recipe made easy with the ready made pastry sheets (Check out the home-made flavored pastry sheets for Daring Bakers challenge here). I substituted a few of the ingredients with my own. Check out the original recipe here. These cute lil cheese swirls were simply irresistible. "No one can eat just one" if I could quote the Lays potato chips ad! This is one delicious hors d'oeuvre or appetizer that you can serve your guests which is guaranteed to be an instant hit! Sorry for the not so great pictures, we just didnt have the patience to wait around for re-taking the pictures!!

We all are not-so-great spinach lovers and these made me doubt if I am missing out on something! The spinach goes well with the cheese and other ingredients in these savory cuties and the flavor and texture of spinach is well pronounced, but wonderful! Try these out and you will be definitely making more of these - thanks to the puff pastry sheets!! :-)

PS: A special thanks to everybody who dropped me a word appreciating my song in the previous post.


Recipe:

Puff pastry sheet - 1/2 of a package (1 sheet)
Egg - 1
Water - 1 tbsp
Colby & Muenster Cheese - 3/4 cup
Parmasen - a dash
Green onion - 1, chopped
Italian seasoning - 1/4 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Frozen Spinach - 10 oz, thawed and drained well

Method:

Thaw the pastry sheet at room temperature for 40 minutes or according to package instructions.

Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.

Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.

Beat the egg and water in a small bowl.

Stir the cheeses, green onion and seasoning in a medium bowl.

Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.

Brush the pastry sheet with the egg mixture.

Top with the cheese mixture and spinach.

Starting at the short side closest to you, roll up like a jelly roll.

Cut into 20 (1/2-inch) slices.

Place the slices cut-side down on the baking sheets.

Brush with the egg mixture.

Bake for 15 minutes or until the swirls are golden.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Tips:

  1. The actual recipe use Parmesan and Muenster or Monterey Jack cheese.
  2. I have omitted the garlic powder in the actual recipe and added some Italian seasoning.

Enjoy the recipe! Have a great day!!

UPDATE:

I would like to send a few of my archived recipes to Sudeshna's First Blog Birthday event : Event for eggs.

Egg Biriyani
Egg Curry with Coconut Milk
Pineapple Fried Rice
Onion-omelette-sandwich with mushrooms

Happy 1st Birthday to your blog, Sudeshna!!

15 comments:

Finla said...

I love swirlis made like these they are always delicious and a big hit with teh guest, your look super yummy.
Hi hi when my daughter wa small i only send to her to preschool when she was almost 5 years to the shock of the people here.
I just told them she should enjoy her young age than beeing in school, she will have years and years to be in school :-)

Parita said...

Wow these cheesy spinach swirls looks mouth watering, nice pic..

Khaugiri said...

It's really tempting!!!!!!

Lavanya said...

very tempting..really good..mouth watering!!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

healthy lil ones... lovely pics too...

Vani said...

Love the pics, JZ! I have bookmarked this from the Pillsbury site a few years ago and haven't tried it still! Your post may just be the impetus! :)
My little M will turn 3 in July and I've started looking around for school options. Though she goes to her sitter's house everyday, somehow the thought of her sending her to school makes me sad. Like she's growing up and very soon, will graduate, find a job and get married!! Crazy, I know but I just don't want her growing up so fast. Already i don't know where 3 years went. Best is to take one day at a time and make the most of it each day. Take care and good luck with school!

Dori said...

These are cute, nice appetizer! I kept my daughter home and home schooled her until first grade because I was too sad to send her to school for kindergarten... I think It's pretty normal stuff to complain about the kids driving us batty, then worrying about missing them so much!

Uma said...

ooh the swirls looks so tempting and yummy.

A_and_N said...

All the best with everything, JZ :)

And the idea of spinach is awesome!

Swapna said...

Cheese swirls looks very tempting and mouth watering JZ!!!

Bharathy said...

..and there you are with a lovely recipe..Delicious Swirls :)!!!

Thankyou, JZ, for your valuable suggestion reg the audio track rec..
I am sure your li’l one will enjoy her school and have a lovely time with her cute new pals..so no worries..(at least would be better that the heavy curriculum kiddos have here in India)…

Chutneytales said...

These cheesy swirls are so pretty..

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a cheesy and delicious swrils JZ!

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

wow it looks delicious.

vandana rajesh said...

The swirls look gr8 JZ. Letting go surely is a difficult thing to do. You remind me of just how I felt when my daughter started schoolong. Oh it was really tough.Would she be alright with strangers? Would they take good care? And although had a lot of time would keep looking at the clock waiting for her to get back home. The home suddenly seemed so empty. Time really flies and kids grow up so fast so just enjoy each moment and every phase of life is what I have learnt:)