April 2, 2008

Baked egg-in-a-hole

I have a toddler girl at home who is a very picky eater. She would drive me crazy with her food choices or lack there of !!! My lil one would taste whatever I give her with the tip of her lips checking to make sure that it is what I claim it to be, then decide to accept or reject it ! So I struggle to introduce variety in the regular meals with whatever is available at home. I guess many of you face the same kind of "attitude". A 2 yr old having an attitude!?? Were we like this with our parents? I hope not. This recipe is good in terms of taste, variety and presentation. I should say my daughter is not a big fan of eggs, and ate just a little bit, mostly the cheese. But hopefully this will help you fellow moms in your battle with your li'l ones. This is a classic English breakfast which can be served to adults too. It is a rich breakfast, so we might want to cut back ! The actual recipe is called Toad in the hole bake.

Recipe (Serves 4)

Eggs - 4
Bread - 8 slices
Butter - 1 tbsp, softened
Bacon - 2 slices, cooked and crumbled
Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese - 1 cup shredded

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 425F.

Cut a hole in the center of four of the bread slices using a 1 1/2" cookie cutter or rim of a glass.

Spread butter over one side of the remaining four bread slices.

Place the slices, buttered side down, in a 13" by 9"baking dish.

Top these slices with half of the cheese.

Place the bread slices with the holes, on top.

Break one egg into each hole.

Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bacon.

Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and the eggs are set.

Source: Kraft Food & Family magazine, Spring 2006.

Tips:
  1. Instead of using shredded cheeses, I placed a cheese slice in between the bread slices.
  2. Crack the eggs into the holes in the bread just before placing into the oven.
  3. A cheese slice can be cut into thin strips to make the cheese sprinkles on top.
  4. I did not have bacon, so omitted that.
  5. Sprinkle the cheese on the top at about 6-8 minutes into baking. Otherwise the cheese might burn.

2 comments:

Purnima said...

JZ, first time at ur blog..loved ur write-ups n this is a wonderful recipe! I too hv 2.3 yr old! Abt coffee post..its awesome! Keep up ur lovely work! Tks for sharing ur recipes and day-to-day challenges wt li'l one!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Purnima, I just visited ur blog and u have a good thing going there! Glad I cud meet a mom of another 2.3 yr old!