April 20, 2008

Mocha Java


My family has always loved coffee from when I could remember and I loved the instant coffees that we could make in India with Nescafe and Bru. I still am a fan of coffee, not plain coffee, but the ones with milk. When I got married, JM's family were tea-drinkers, so I missed my coffee a lot. Then came the pregnancy when the lil one didnt take to coffee too well and so because of health reasons, I reluctantly parted goodbye to the refreshing drink. But I didnt take up the habit again probably because I realised that I could survive without it ( I do drink it, but less often!). My husband, though not a big java fan before, started having coffee at office. I dont know the difference between the mocha-frappe-java-latte-ccinos available in the coffee shops in US, so I dare not venture into these shops. When I saw this simple Italian recipe, I just knew I should try it (an excuse to have some whipped cream and chocolate!?). Mocha java is "the recipe" for black coffee lovers, if you like a bit of added flavor to your coffee. For Indian coffee lovers like me, add enough milk to make it just right!

Recipe (Serves 4):

Semi-sweet chocolate - 2 oz (2 squares)
Granulated sugar - 4 tsp
Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
Hot coffee - 4 cups, freshly brewed
Whipped cream - garnish
Grated milk chocolate - garnish

Method:

Melt the chocolate in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in the sugar and heavy cream.

Blend until smooth and then gradually whisk in the hot coffee.

Divide the mixture among four coffee mugs, topping each mug with whipped cream and finely grated milk chocolate.

Serve immediately.

Source: http://www.espressoitaliano.com/ourreceipts.htm

Tips:
  1. I melted the chocolate in the microwave.
  2. If you do not like the taste of plain coffee, add milk to balance the flavor.

18 comments:

Arundathi said...

Mmmm - that looks delicious! I love coffee too. If you like this kind of coffee, ask for a Frappuccino at a Starbucks, and I guarantee you'll be happy! :)

ranji said...

loved the mocha java..i love coffee..and this one is really tempting...

@the_whisk_affair said...

Arundathi, thanks a lot for ur info.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Ranji, thanks a lot, do try it!

Unknown said...

I am a coffee freak..love ur Indianized version..will try this..thanks for sharing..nice pics

Deepa Kuber said...

HI FIRST TIME AT UR BLOG. I LOVE COFFEE.. WILL DEFINATELY TRY THIS ONE.. LOOKS REFRESHING! U HAVE GOT GOOD COLLECTION OF RECIPES..

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot Divya, let me know how it turned out for you!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Anjali, do visit again for more recipes :-)

Unknown said...

Thats agr8 looking coffee...will surely try it out:)

Swati Raman Garg said...

JZ -- this is so cool.. this is my first time here... your recipes are great

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Saswati and Swati for ur kind comments! Drop-in more often!

Mansi said...

that looks great! I am a grat fan of coffee too!:)

notyet100 said...

tried ur coffee today mornin,...sure tastes good...thnks for sharing the recipe...

@the_whisk_affair said...

thanks mansi! glad to know that it worked out good for you, notyet100! Thanks for letting me know!

Deeba PAB said...

YAY...my fave flavour. cannot imagine a day without coffee! This sounds great. I'm glad I got here!!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Deeba, I too am glad you came here! Come by often!

TBC said...

How good does that look!
I could do with some of that right now.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Hey TBC, you r welcome to come over and have some!