April 1, 2008

Strawberry jelly roll




Yesterday was the start of yet another typical week, with Monday morning blues, waking up early and packing lunch for my husband, JM. Once again, mother nature had something totally unexpected planned for us in MN today. Within a week, this is the second time that we are having a snow fall and that too in spring! But I should admit that for those who stay at home like me, snow-fall is soo much fun! I dont know what it is about snow flakes and baking, but while watching the fluffy flakes, I had an urge to do a bit of baking. I was thinking about some recipes involving baking, and soon decided on making a jelly roll. I remembered the perfectly rolled soft jam rolls in the bakeries of Kerala, and imagined taking a bite out of it. Mmmmm mmm, heavenly !! I had never made one before and so it was new to me. I looked through my web-recipes collection and sure enough, there was a video on how to make one. The best part about the recipe is that the beautiful dessert will be ready for showing off in under an hour. Do give these yummy rolls a try. Happy baking!!

Recipe

All purpose flour - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Eggs - 3
Water - 1/3 cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Powdered sugar - as needed
Jam or jelly - 2/3 cup
Kitchen towel - larger than the baking pan

Method:

Line 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" pan with foil and spray with cooking oil.

Pre-heat the oven to 375F.

Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat it using a hand mixer for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.

Add the sugar to the eggs and beat well.

Pour the water, add the vanilla and beat again using the mixer.

In a smaller bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.

Spoon the dry ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture beating as you go.

Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.

Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.

Spread a towel on the work surface and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.

Invert the pan over the towel and place the cake onto the towel.

Remove the foil from the top of the cake.

Roll the cake along with the towel so that the towel remains rolled up inside the cake.

Keep on a rack to cool for 20 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, whip the jam/jelly using a fork.

When cooled, unroll the cake, spread the jam over the cake and roll it up again.

Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with fruits.

Slice and serve. Enjoy!!

Tips:
  1. The picture shows a strawberry jelly-roll with strawberry jam for the filling and strawberry slices for garnish.
  2. I beat the wet ingredients together in my food processor. The cake would turn out fluffier if a hand mixer is used.
  3. I used a larger jelly roll pan for baking, so the cake turned out to be really thin and was baked in about 9 minutes. I would recommend using the pan mentioned in the recipe so that the cake comes out thicker.

5 comments:

shenaz said...

hi,I couldn't resist the temptation so i tried out this recipe.In spite of my inexperience in baking it was a success.It was so easy to make but looks as if a lot of work is put into it.I got compliments from my husband on my baking skills.If only he knew how simple it is :)!Thanks for rekindling my passion for cooking.CHEERS!!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks, Shenaz. I am happy I inspired you to take up cooking once again! Happy cooking!

Unknown said...

Those look absolutely amazing!
Yum!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot Meenakshy. Visit again!

Unknown said...

this is something i will definitly try one of these days, with whipped cream too as you posted in another post. Love stuffed rolls:)