April 18, 2008

Thumbprint cookies



I have come across recipes for these cookies many times and have always wanted to bake them at home. But everytime, I wouldnt have one of the ingredients at home, so I would drop the idea. This week, I made sure that I had all the ingredients at home and set out to make them. The dough is really easy to put together and the cookies have a short baking time. Thus it is perfect for anyday, even when you dont feel like baking. These cute little cookies will be worth the little prep work you do. If you have to make large batches for big gatherings, this is the one beacuse they look great and you know everyone will love it! I made a batch for the moms of my lil one's early-ed class and everyone loved it, I even got recipe requests! These cookies are sweetened perfectly, look really cute and taste heavenly, with the toasted crisp nuts on them. Go on, make them, you wont regret it !! Happy baking!

Recipe (Makes about 3 dozen cookies):

All-purpose flour - 1 cup
Brown sugar - 1/4 cup, packed
Shortening - 1/4 cup
Butter or margarine - 1/4 cup, softened
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Large egg yolk - 1
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Large egg white - 1
Nuts - 1 cup, finely chopped
Jam/Jelly - about 6 tbsp (any flavor)

Method:

Heat oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk with electric mixer on medium speed or mix with spoon.

Stir in the flour and salt.

Shape dough into 1" balls.

In a small bowl, beat egg white slightly with fork.

Place the chopped nuts in another small bowl.

Dip each ball of dough into egg white and then roll in nuts.

On an ungreased cookie sheet, place the balls about an inch apart.

Press thumb into the center of each cookie to make the indentation, but do not press all the way down to the cookie sheet.

Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.

Quickly remake the indentations with the end of a wooden spoon, if necessary.

Immediately remove from the cookie sheet to a wire rack.

Fill each thumbprint with about 1/2 tsp of the jelly.

Lemon-Almond thumbprint cookies: Roll balls of dough into finely chopped slivered almonds. Fill indentations with lemon curd instead of the jelly.

Source: Betty Crocker Cookbook, heart health edition.

Tips:
  1. Instead of shortening, I used an equal amount of butter.
  2. Eventhough the recipe was for 3 dozen cookies, I only got about 20.
  3. I used both chopped almonds and cashews for the cookies.

2 comments:

The Caked Crusader said...

yum yum yum! I think I could eat an embarrassingly high number of those!

@the_whisk_affair said...

I know what u mean, I did eat a lot (BLUSH!!)