June 16, 2008

Spiced Basmati Rice with Peanuts


This again is a recipe from Betty Crocker's Indian Cookbook, a recipe that I tried out and fell in love with. Eventhough the title name is explanatory, the common name I guess, is Masala baath. The cookbooks describes this as a Maharastrian speciality which again I would have to assume it is, since I am not familiar with Maharastrian cuisine. All that I know is I instantly fell in love with this rice dish and would make it again. A great way to add a spin to your routine menu! The fried rice with the crunchy peanuts and the slight spicy flavor imparted by the addition of garam masala and chilies is just what I would want out of a variety rice dish!! Try this out when you want something different in your menu! (BTW, I took the pictures :-))


Recipe:

Ghee or oil - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
Peanuts - 1/3 cup, dry roasted, unsalted
Fresh thai or serrano chillies - 2-3, finely chopped
Cooked basmati or long grain rice - 1 cup
Frozen green peas - 1 cup, thawed
Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
Cilantro - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - 1 tsp
Spicy garam masala - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp

Method:

Heat the clarified butter or oil in a wok or skillet over medium high heat.

Add the cumin seeds and sizzle for 15-20 seconds.

Toss in the onions, peanuts and chillies.

Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is golden brown.

Add the remaining ingredients.

Stir fry 3-5 minutes or until rice, peas and tomatoes are warm.

Serve warm.

Source: Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking, Recipes by Raghavan Iyer.

Tips:

  1. I used 2 cups of cooked rice for the same proportion of other ingredients.
  2. One serrano is enough for two cups of rice.
  3. Basic gara masala can be used instead of spicy garam masala.
  4. I used cooked Basmati rice.
  5. I just used a half of a tomato, omitted the cilantro since I didnt have any at that time!

Once again, it is time to thank two of my fellow bloggers, Shubha of Chutki Bhar Pyar (Yummy blog award) and Sireesha of Mom's recipes (Rocking Girl Blogger award) for bestowing upon me two different awards!! I am very thankful for all your kind gestures, and I thank all of my readers, again, for your support and encouragement!



I would like to pass on the Yummy blog award from Shubha and Rocking girl blogger award from Sireesha to,


Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons
Happy cook of My kitchen treasures
Rachel of Tangerine's kitchen
Pearlsofeast of Anyone can cook
Maheswari of Beyond the Usual


Enjoy your awards as each of you deserve these awards to the fullest extend!

Roopa, who conceived the Yummy blog award says "Yummy blog award is the award given to the blog with most yummy recipes/photos" The receiver should also quote their favorite yummy-licious :) dessert(s) that they have ever prepared/eaten. Dont restrict yourself to any dessert, chocolate bars also welcome:). Also the receiver should pass on the award to four other bloggers who's blog they find "yummy" and let them know about the rules:)

As per the rules of the Yummy Blog Award, I am stating my four favourite desserts:


Now many of you might know me well enough to know that I am more of a sweets/desserts person, and its very tough for me to choose four. So I am giving just a general idea,

1. Icecreams (almost any flavor except for mint)
2. Gulab jamun
3. Cakes (any flavor, but not too much of icing!)
4. Chocolates (like toblerone, bounty, ferrero rocher and good old dairymilk!)

Hope you all had a great weekend. Good day to all!!


I am sending this to the "Mixed rice varieties" event at EC's Simple Indian Food. Its also off to Archana's "One Dish Meal event" at Archana's kitchen.



22 comments:

Finla said...

Ric with nuts looks delicious, i am sure if i make this here at home it is going to be a huge hit.
Thankyou for passing me the wonderful awards

ranji said...

basmathi in itself has lots of flsvor, with additon of nuts and spices it would be like heaven..looks really delcious JZ:)..i have posted roganjosh dish:)..Thank u so much for the recipe ....its a keeper:)

FH said...

Picture perfect, great recipe. Enjoy all the award, well deserved indeed JZ girl!:)

Unknown said...

I love this type rice:) I too made it recently with lots of nuts. I keep adding nuts so that its eaten along with other items rathen than just like that:) nannayittundu ketto:)

Dori said...

Wow, you also have the Betty Crocker Indian cookbook... I have cooked from it and posted on my blog a few times... I haven't tried this dish yet, but it looks so good!

Illatharasi said...

I dont like nuts, but your recipe looks colourful!!! Will try this for my hubby ;)

Rachel said...

the rice grains are so well separated..sometimes I end up with mushy rice de to overcooking....and this with nuts..definitely worth trying..love the first pic.

congrats on the awards and thanks for passing it on

Neha said...

nice looking rice, must try..
And u have a awrd waiting for in my blog do check..:)

Purnima said...

JZ, i seem to hv missed out on new posts..thukpa looks comforting, the desert p.a. praline.g too has been beautifully arranged! N this masala bhat, pics by u ;) wonderfullllll! tks for sharing the recipe!

Purnima said...

JZ...and ...congraaaaatssss on ur much much deserved awards!!:D

@the_whisk_affair said...

Hey Happycook, enjoy ur awards!! Do try it out!

Thanks Ranji, loved ur roganjosh with the little tweaks!!

Thanks Asha!

Thanks Roopa, iniyum varanay...

Great Meeso, but my book is from the library, not my own! :-( will check out urs soon!

Sounds perfect Illatharasi! Try it out and let me know..

Rachel, to keep the grains separate, u have to be careful while cooking the rice, sometimes mine will be ok, sometimes it crosses over to mushy! ;-) Enjoy the award!

I'm coming over, Neha!

Thanks a lot purnima! my posts are not getting updated on Taste of India, thats why you all miss the posts...Subscibe to Tasty treats! :-)

Sia said...

lovely pic JZ. makes me drool even after having my lunch :)

ST said...

Rice looks delicious and perfect.Congrats on awards u deserve them.......

Swati Raman Garg said...

once again a pefect looking rice .. i love spicd up basmati ... its a treat... ah i had a good half an hour here... after a long time... :)

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Sia and Sireesha! :-)

Thanks for visiting again, Swati, was kind of missing you here!

EC said...

Very creative and yummy dish with lovely colour...thanks for participating

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks EC, its my pleasure to participate!

Arundathi said...

that looks so delicious - your basmati is perfectly cooked and the color is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Your blog features a delicious array of recipes; the way you've chosen to present your recipe collection is admirable. We'd like to pass along a gift to you; it's an acclaimed service that any cook with a recipe collection would feel honored to use. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested.

Unknown said...

Wow Rice looks so delicious and esp with nuts.
Sorry for not replying,Thanks for passing me the awards.Its my pleasure and feels great when honoured.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot for your comments Arundathi, Sophie and pearlsofeast!

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Hey Jz girl ur making me very very hungry dear.... it looks yum and yet soooooooooooooo simple to make... i want some now...:P