June 10, 2008

Turkish tomato pilaf (domatesli pilav)


This is another one of those recipes that I got to try just because of an event in the blogsphere - AWED, the brainchild of DK of Culinary Bazaar. I chose to make this pilaf because it seemed very simple with uncomplicated steps, and simple ingredients.I dont know if the method of preparation is different from Indian tomato rice because I am not an expert in that area - other than an expert in enjoying tomato rice, I dont know how it is made. This is an excellent recipe to make when you are time-pressed but would like some change from routine menu. I was very happy with the results because it was really tasty, the highlight of the flavor being that the rice is cooked in a broth rather than water. It really was super tasty!! It had the tangy flavor of the tomato, but also the wonderful flavor of the broth and they both blended really well. I enjoyed it a lot and so did my little girl. Throw in a few fried cashewnuts and the pilaf is elevated to another level! It goes really well with yoghurt based sauces like cucumber-mint raita or plain yoghurt as such. Off it goes to AWED - Middle Eastern Cuisine over to Siri's corner. Tomato lovers need not fret, this is the recipe for you (and others too ;-)) ! Enjoy!!


Recipe (Makes 6 servings) :

Tomatoes - diced, 1 can (15 oz), drained and liquid reserved
Onion - 1 small, chopped (3/4 cup)
Vegetable oil/ Butter - 2 tbsp/ 2-4 tbsp
Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
Long grain rice - 1 1/2 cups
Vegetable broth - 3 cups
Salt - to taste
Ground pepper - as needed

Method:

Heat 2 tbsp oil or butter in a heavy saucepan.

Add onion to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until soft but not brown.

Now add the garlic, tomatoes, salt and pepper.

Heat until sizzling.

Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until thick, crushing large tomato chunks with the spoon.

Mix in the rice over medium-low heat until coated with the tomato mixture.

Fry for 2 minutes, stirring.

Add the broth, liquid from the diced tomatoes, salt and pepper.

Stir once or twice and bring to a boil.

Cover and simmer over very low heat for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is just tender.

Adjust seasonings.

Let pilaf stand, covered for 10 minutes.

Fluff the rice lightly with fork.

Serve warm with kababs, stews and or with mint-cucumber raita.

Source: Feast from the Mideast by Faye Levy.


Tips:

  1. Chicken broth can be used instead of vegetable broth or a combination of broth and water can be used.
  2. The cookbook hints that this pilaf goes very well with kababs and stews.
  3. I used basmati rice for the recipe.

I am also sending this to the "Mixed rice varieties" event at EC's Simple Indian Food blog.

UPDATE: I am sending this to "Rice Mela" hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons.

17 comments:

Finla said...

Wow with dried tomatoes. It has to taste delicious then.
I woudn't mint to have a bowl of that rice now

Hetal said...

Thats a wonderful recipe....looks yummy yummy.

J said...

I like Middle eatern rice dishes, so mildly spiced yet full of flavour. You've anice site here!

Uma said...

that's one mouth-watering pilaf. Must have tasted great. the bowl is beautiful.

ranji said...

this bowl of pilaf is so inviting JZ..can i have some :)..quick and easy to prepare too...beautiful presentation and photos as usual ..

Unknown said...

Tomato Pilaf is my ultimate comforting food JZ and with cashews.. the bowl looks yummo.

Thanks for sending over to AWED!

Hugs,
Siri

Illatharasi said...

Hi JZ, wonderful recipe with beautiful pictures.... My mouth was watering;)

EC said...

Very colourful...must try recipe..thanks for sending it to the event

Archana Doshi said...

perfect. Awesomely drooling. What can i say, the pictures are way too apetizing. Dried tomatoes high lighten the flavor of so many dishes, i use it a lot as well. Incidentally, this would be a great recipe for my ONE DISH MEAL event. I would love for you to send a recipe. The details for the event can be found at http://www.archanaskitchen.com/2008/uncategorized/monthly-one-dish-event-meals/

vandana rajesh said...

Hi that's a delicious treat...have something for you on my blog.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks happycook, hetal and jyothsna! Jyo, I am glad u liked my blog :-)

Uma, Ranji and Siri, glad u liked it. Ranji, you know u dont have to ask, have as much as u want!! :-)

Illatharasi, I did what I had intended to do. Made atleast one person drool :-)

Thanks EC.

Hi Archana, welcome to my blog. I would definitely send something for your ONE DISH MEAL event! Thanks for the invite! :-)

Thanks Vandana, and I am coming over to ur blog right now! :-)

FH said...

How beautiful JZ, looks gorgeous!:))

Ivy said...

Hi JZ. I've made this rice several times but never thought of using cashew nuts and never thought of using basmati. This sounds perfect.

Shubha Ravikoti said...

JZ... the pilaf looks awesome.. I am just drooling dear.... the pictures are too good too...:)
Yum Yumm recipe

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Asha, Ivy and Shubha!

Ivy, basmati is always readily available in my house. So I use it almost always in recipes that calls for long grain rice. :-)Cashews are just for, you know, making everyone eat it :-)

Love to make u drool, Shubha! :-)

Purnima said...

JZ, the Turkish pilaf is new to me, looks flavorsome! Lovely pic too! :)

Swati Raman Garg said...

loe the way ur rice has come up JZ
again sorry :(