June 30, 2008

Diced Chicken with Vegetables


This is another one of the recipes from the cookbook of Leeann Chin, the famous restaurateur. I adapted the recipe to work with the vegetables that I had and I must say we enjoyed it very much. It actually tasted a bit like the Knorr Chinese soups that we used to have in India. Since JM was working from home on Friday, I was actually spirited to try out another recipe from the book, and I chose this. Excellent quick stir-fry!! If I had to compare between this and the hot and sour pork with celery (the first recipe I tried from this book) I prefer the pork and celery over this one, but this is also an excellent chinese recipe. The recipe seems long because it has detailed step-by-step instructions, not because it is tough! Watch out for more recipes from this cookbook. Since this is a yummylicious recipe with chicken, I am sending this to "Chicken - My Favourite" event at Vandana Rajesh's Cooking Up Something Nice. Since this a no-carb, low-fat source of protein, I am sending this to "Eat Healthy - Protein Rich" event at Sangeeth's Art of Cooking Indian Food.




Recipe (Serves 2) :

Chicken breast - 8 oz, skinless, boneless
Salt - 1/2 tsp
White pepper - a dash
Cornstarch - 2 tbsp + 1 tsp, divided
Carrots - diced, 1/2 cup
Celery - diced tender heart center, 1 cup
Oyster sauce - 2 tbsp
Chicken broth - 1 1/4 cup, divided
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
Onion - diced, 1/4 cup
Minced garlic - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1 tsp, finely chopped
Button mushrooms - 4 oz can, drained
Green onions - 1/4 cup, chopped

Method:

Cut the chicken into 1/2" pieces.

In a medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper and 1 tsp cornstarch.

Stir in the chicken, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Add the carrots and celery and return to a boil.

Cover and cook for 1 minute.

Immediately drain and rinse in cold water, drain.

In a small bowl, mix the oyster sauce, the remaining 2 tbsp cornstarch, 1/4 cup chicken broth and the sugar. Set aside.

Heat a wok or nonstick pan over high heat until very hot.

Add a tbsp of vegetable oil and the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken turns white, stirring to separate the pieces, about 2 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the pan.

Reheat the pan over high heat.

Add the remaining vegetable oil, the onions, garlic and ginegr and cook for a minute.

Add the celery, carrots and mushrooms and cook for a minute.

Add the chicken and the remaining 1 cup chicken broth.

Cook until the broth comes to a boil.

Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat.

Garnish with the green onions.

Serve hot.

Source: Everyday Chinese Cooking by Leeann Chin and Katie Chin.


Tips:
  1. I didnt have mushrooms, onions or green onions, so I omitted those.
  2. I used about 1 cup of frozen green peas instead.
  3. The dish can actually serve 3-4 if used as a side dish.
  4. I cooked the green peas along with celery and carrots.

I also received a giant bear hug from Srilekha of Me and My kitchen. Thanks a lot Sri, that really felt good!! :-) I would like to pass the award on to,

Asha of Foodies Hope and Aroma!
Meeso of
For The Love of Food!
Sig of
Live To Eat
Cham of
Spice-club
Rachel of
Tangerine's Kitchen

Enjoy your hugs girls!

20 comments:

Rachel said...

Now that is one yummy-looking bowl of diced chicken...You just tempt me more and more...Sigh!!!!!

Thanks for the lovely award by the way :)

FH said...

Oh, I could grab that dish right now! We were so busy last weekend, I don't have anything planned today. Excellent looking dish, never used Oyster sauce before,should try.

Enjoy the award and sister Bear hug to you too for thinking of me!:)

Illatharasi said...

What a colourful entry..... looks delicious.....

Congrats for the award:)

Cham said...

Wow, early morning u make me feel hungry with this chicken :) I love the color and sticky consistancy :)
Congrats on your award And big hug to you, i really excited to get this one :)

Sujatha said...

Thats another appetizing chinese dish! I love the texture and color.. I am hungry now :)

Kalai said...

Gorgeous dish and I love, love, love the consistency!! :)

Sum Raj said...

luv to grab the bowl as soon....am crazy of chicken dish...u always makes me drool...enjoy ur award.

Sailaja said...

something is waiting for u in my blog

Trupti said...

Diced Chicken with Vegetables looks delicious JZ & Congrats on award.

DK said...

ur photos are simply amazing - I must say - I simply loved ur danish bread. I stuck to plain apple filling :) thanks to last min prep.


As for ur query - Eggs are welcome No probs :)

Green chilli said...

wah! cool pic and nice presentation. Keep going JZ. Thanks for this.

Dori said...

Thanks for passing along the bear hug :) The chicken and veggies look delicious!

notyet100 said...

THIS LOOKS SO YUMMY,..

Indranee Batabyal said...

Wow! this is so yummy:)My mouth is watering. It'll be a complete lunch or dinner for me.Thanks so much!

Srikitchen said...

one more surprise waiting for u in my blog

Divya Kudua said...

you've been tagged -

http://divyascookbook.blogspot.com/2008/07/memean-award-and-hug.html

ranji said...

fabulous soup JZ....little sceptical about oyster sauce ;)..what does it add to the dish??but the soup still looks yummmm :)..congrats on ur award..

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Rachel and Asha!! Thanks for the hugs and wishes :-)

Thanks Illatharasi, Cham and Sujatha! Thanks a lot for the return hug, Cham!

Thanks Kalai, Suma and Sailaja..Sailaja, I am coming over!

Thanks Trupti, DK and Greenchilli!!

I'm glad you all liked it meeso, notyet100 and indranee!

Thanks Srilekha and Divya! I've accepted both!

Hey Ranji, this dish is actually not a soup, but a side dish. Oyster sauce lends the actual flavor, saltiness and color to the recipe. If added in the right proportion, it wont taste bad, I promise! :-)

Sig said...

Hugs to you too sweetie... That is a great looking chicken dish... :) Looks like I missed quite a few dishes here :(

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks for the hug Sig, and yep, u missed a few :-) But glad you could catch-up!