July 1, 2008

Fragrant Yoghurt Soup


I made this recipe yesterday evening just for the "Frozen Yoghurt" event at Siri's Corner. And boy, arent I glad I made it!? I started out thinking that this is actually a soup (and I still am not sure about whether it is) but then I kind of had the feeling that this is actually something that is taken with rice. Anyways, I enjoyed it immensely on its own. I was surprised when my lil one joined me. The stock actually lends a beautiful flavor to the soup and the best part is that it is very simple and takes mere minutes to put together. It has some of the best flavours of Indian cuisine coming together to form a really fragrant and tasty soup. I felt that it was similar to the kachiya moru of Kerala. I used the chili oil for the first time - it had a slight spicy flavor to it and all in all, I am very happy with this recipe. I would have it as a soup any time!! Enjoy!




Recipe (Serves 4) :

Oil - 1 tbsp
Black mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies - minced, 2
Garlic - crushed, 1/2 tsp
Ginger - grated, 1/4 tsp
Yoghurt - 3/4 cup
Vegetable stock - 3 cups
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Ground turmeric - a pinch
Ground red pepper - a pinch
Cilantro - 1 tsp, minced
Mint leaves - 1/2 tsp, minced
Chili oil - a few drops to garnish (optional)

Method:

Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir fry the mustard seeds for about 1 minute until they crackle.

Add the green chillies, garlic and ginger.

Stir fry for 5 minutes and then add the yoghurt, stock and salt.

Simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the yoghurt from curdling.

Add the turmeric, red pepper, coriander and mint leaves.

Mix well and serve hot, sprinkled with a few drops of chili oil.

Source: Authentic Recipes from India by Brinder Narula.

Tips:

  1. I only made half the recipe.
  2. I dont like mint leaves, so I omitted that.
  3. Chicken stock can be used in place of vegetable stock. Or else, two chicken stock cubes in 3 cups of boiling water can be used.

I received the Blogging with a Purpose Award and Yummy Blog Award from Sailaja of Sailaja's Recipes. She is one of those bloggers whom I am getting to know more each day. A kind person and a regular visitor, her comments have come to mean a lot to me...Thanks a lot to you, I loooove these awards!! :-)


I would like to pass the Blogging with a purpose award to,

Trupti of Recipe Center

Kalai of Samaithu paarkalaam
Laavanya of Cookery Corner
Sujatha of A Khazaana of my favourite recipes
Skribles of Food with a pinch of love



I would like to pass the Yummy Blog Award to,

Vani of Illatharasi
Sangeeth of Art of Cooking Indian Food
Suma Rajesh of Suma's Cuisine
Hetal of Isha's kitchen
Sireesha of Mom's recipes

Enjoy your awards and spread the love!!

Dont forget to check out the new pictures at "Through the Looking Glass".

UPDATE: Looks like the voting has started at Dining hall forum for the Open Sesame - 2. If you liked my Sweet and Sour Chickpeas, dont forget to vote for me. You'll have to be a member to vote!

30 comments:

FH said...

Red chillies explains the color instead of yellow of Moru dishes. Looks yum,I must try this with red chillies.YUM!

Enjoy the awards JZ!:))

Srikitchen said...

congrats on all ur awards

Anonymous said...

tht looks like a simple but yummy dish - and a great click as always! will try this out soon :)

Congrats on ur awards and thanks for thinking of me for the award!

ST said...

WOW yummy soup....Its new for me.....
Congrats on ur awards.U deserve more...Thanks for thinking of me and passing it to me......

Hetal said...

wow...this is a very different recipe,looks great.
Congrats for the lovely awards and thanks for passing one to me..

bha said...

the color of the soup is inviting.....enjoy your awards

P.S. will sure try to get those macaroons

Rachel said...

Now if it tastes like the kachi moru..then I would surely like it...
Lovely colour!

Sailaja said...

When I first read the title of the post I was expecting the color of the dish like yellowish. After reading the entire recipe understood why it is red color.
Nice recipe. I do majjiga pulusu something similar to your recipe, instead of vegetable stock we use vegetables.
Thanks for mentioning about the awards.
Your photography is too good.

Give us some tips . Which camera do u use?

Sailaja said...

Forgot to mention, Congrats on your awards..

Laavanya said...

What a novel soup recipe.. must be very comforting.

Congrats on your awards and thanks for thinking of me :)

Trupti said...

Hey JZ soups looks delicious. I never tried soup with yoghurt. Congrats on all awards and thank you for passing it to me.

delhibelle said...

warm & tangy curd soup..looks so delish!

Unknown said...

Loved the bowl.Yeah, looks like you can take it with rice also.Me too hate mint leaves, i try to use it in biryani only..Left you something in my blog..:)

Kalai said...

What a great idea for a soup, JZ! Looks absolutely delicious. Congrats on the award and thank you so much for passing it on to me! I'm really flattered and excited!! :)

Cham said...

Warm and great looking soup

Sum Raj said...

yummy soup ..its new to me.....congrates and thanks for passing it to me...

ranji said...

Awesome!!!JZ..this soup is something very new to me...love the color..with all the spices and chillies it must be tasting gr8..will make for my hubby!!!:)

Deepthi Shankar said...

a very healthy dish :)

Sujatha said...

looks yummy! And after reading the recipe I'm very tempted to try it.. A simple and healthy dish.. what else can I ask for :)

Andhra Flavors said...

Excellent yoghurt soup!!
You have good creative hand.
and congrates to ur awards

bee said...

that is a great idea. i have some bouillon which is ancient. this is a nice way to use it.

Illatharasi said...

JZ, Congrats for the awards and thanks for sharing it with me! Yoghurt soup looks amazing, new recipe for me:)

Shreya said...

Hi, yoghurt soup is a first for me, and definitely looks easy and tasty. A little similar to moru kaachiyathu with vegetables. Congrats on winning the awards:-)

Rajitha said...

looks delicious and congrats on the awards...btw...i really like all ur pics..very well taken!

Unknown said...

I have bookmarked and will try out soon as it sound delicious JZ.The colour is so lovely.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Actually the soup is yellowish! it probably appear reddish cos of the chilli oil i used for garnish! Thanks Asha!! :-)

Thanks Srilekha, Skribles and Sireesha!

Thanks Hetal and Bhags! No pressure, bhags :-)

Hey Sailaja, I'm glad u loved my soup. It is actually yellowish. Thanks for the comment abt photography, will pass it onto my husband. We use the Nikon D40 camera.

Thanks Laavanya, Trupti and Delhibelle!

Thanks Maheswari, and I am coming over right now for the "thing" on your blog! :-)

Thanks Kalai, Cham, Suma and Ranji!

Thanks VP, Sujatha and AF!!

Bee, I am glad u liked it, its great that u can use up the "ancient" buillions now! :-)

Thanks Illatharasi, Shreya, Rajitha and Pearlsofeast!!

Lakshmi said...

Yoghurt Soup!!! Loved that bowl of soup. Awesome presentation of all pics on your blog.

Dori said...

Soup sounds good, I never had a yogurt soup... Congratulations on your awards :)

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks lg and meeso! :-)

Sunshinemom said...

JZ - Lovely array! You are on a roll, and I have not been regular, and missed out too much:)