July 11, 2008

Baked Buffalo Wings


Buffalo wings are probably the most popular appetizers in the US. I fell in love with them the first time I tasted them. Eventhough the idea of chewing between the bones to get a tiny morsel of meat was not that appealing to me, I was convinced by JM that they infact are the tastiest pieces! The red hot sauce that was slathered on the wings were my absolute favourite! I started using them on anything anywhere! Nowadays, my frenzy has quieted down a bit, but my love for buffalo wings havent. So I made some last weekend, where the wings were baked rather than fried, to get the crispy cooked texture and then tossed in some hot wing sauce to make the delectable buffalo hot wings! Served with a side of celery sticks and blue cheese, and I sure was on cloud nine!

This is a simple recipe, but, since I have only baked the wings (which actually produced crispy outside similar to that of fried ones) and hadnt used melted butter along with the sauce, it is much less in fat content. The recipe was found on the hot sauce bottle itself, whereas the other recipes that I came across either involved frying the chicken or using butter. The only thing is that you need to have a bit of planning since the wings have to be baked nearly an hour. But theres no prep work involved and is super easy. If you have a to feed a crowd, this is it! You will know for sure that these wings would be the highlight of the party! Enjoy!!


Recipe (Makes 6-8 servings) :

Chicken wings - 2 1/2 lbs
Red hot sauce - 3/4 cup
Celery stalks - 4-5, cut into sticks(optional)
Blue cheese dressing - optional

Method:

Bake wings at 425 F for one hour, until cooked and crispy.

Toss wings in the hot buffalo wing sauce.

If desired, serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.

Source: Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce.


Tips:

  1. For quicker wings, deep-fry the chicken wings for 12 minutes at 400 F. (Dont!, bake :-))
  2. I made about 1 1/2 lbs wings which were baked for about 45 minutes. It doesnt have to be baked that long, so if you do, bake for about 30-35 minutes. I used up about 1/2 cup of buffalo wing sauce.

I am sending this to "Eat Healthy Protein Rich" event at Sangeeth's Art of Cooking Indian Food. See you all on Monday! Have a great weekend! :-)

12 comments:

ranji said...

YUMMMMM..even i make buffalo wings..i bake them for nearly an hr and then put it in the sauce...they taste so gr8..never tried frying them :)..must be even more crispier huh....love to have these with the blue cheese dip..most of the times when we order pizza we usually order the wings too

Cham said...

Oh oh, you make me drool with the spice sauce on top. I love those spicy shiny wings Dear....Your plate is delectable...

Srikitchen said...

wow thatz great recipe.. can u send me a wing... its tempting me to eat...

Trupti said...

JZ Buffalo wings looks very delicious and nice photos

Sum Raj said...

i make too wings but in indian style...i have posted that too on my blog....mine too fav....i go to pizza hut specially for this....urs looks inviting jz...

bha said...

those buffalo wings look perfect....love the color.
I never tried them baked, i always pan fry....will try this next time.

also loved those karanjis in the earlier post

Rachel said...

perfect colour-wise, visually and it is no neat to bake them....

Vani said...

Love buffalo wings! Not a fan of meat with bones myself in most cases but absolutely don't mind it in wings! And the ooey-gooey mess of buffalo wings makes it all the more enjoyable, i think! Loved the baked version. Guilt-free (bleu cheese dip not counted!) Have a fab weekend, JZ!

Sujatha said...

Your chicken wings looks gorgeous, JZ! I am drooling.. Very nicely presented.. and those celeries add to the nice color! Great entry, dear JZ.

Illatharasi said...

Very good presentation again JZ:) Good colour combination.... new variety of chicken:) good one!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Ranji, Cham and Srilekha!

I appreciate your comments Trupti,
Suma, Bhags and Rachel!!

Thanks Vani, Sujatha and Vani!

Dori said...

Oh yeah, I love the idea of just baking them... Sounds too easy and sure is tempting! I'm like you, though, I always hated the mess and fighting with it to get the meat, but It's so tasty, how do you resist?