Only recently did I start to experiment with preparing icecreams at home. After the intial success of the Cheesecake icecream, there was a break before I tried another one. I made Banana icecream (yet to be posted) and immediately after, this Strawberry Icecream (I mean yesterday!). This turned out above my expectations and was really creamy, soft and melted in our mouths! I dont have an icecream maker, so I was apprehensive while making it! But everything worked out great. I really should say that homemade strawberry icecream has more flavour and fresh fruit taste than store-bought ones. It also had the tiny crunch of the seeds which was a delight! I had just made half the recipe and now I only have a few scoops left. I wish I had made more!! This recipe is super easy and within hours you can have fresh homemade icecream!! Do try this out as soon as possible! Check out the tips for those who dont have any icecream machine and for tips on how to make a chocolate cup for serving the icecream. Enjoy!!
You scream I scream we all scream for icecream.... Do you know that it is also the lyrics of a song? Anyways, with many events in the foodie blog world about icecreams, I got to know that July is the National Icecream month! What a tasty month! Had I known that before, July would have been my favourite month!! WINK!
Recipe (Makes 1 quart) :
Whole fresh strawberries - 2 1/2 cup
Whole milk - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 2
Sugar - 2/3 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Whipping cream - 1 cup
In a blender or a food processor, add the milk, eggs and strawberries.
Puree until smooth and well-blended.
Transfer into a large bowl.
Add the sugar, vanilla and whipping cream.
Transfer to an icecream maker.
Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- I only made half the recipe.
- If using frozen strawberries, use unsweetened frozen fruit, thawed before pureeing.
- I dont have an icecream maker and I used a handmixer to whip the icecream to a creamy consistency. Trust me, it works!
- Once you stir in the cream, vanilla and sugar, mix the icecream using the whip attachment (not the beaters) of an electric mixer or use an ordinary whisk.
- Mix for 2-3 minutes every hour for 3 hours and then freeze until set.
- Chocolate cup was made by lining a small bowl with plastic wrap and then spreading melted chocolate over it and freezing until set.
I am sending my Strawberry icecream to,
- Fresh produce of the month - Strawberries hosted by An Italian in the US.
- Sweet Series - Cool Desserts hosted by Mythreyee of Paajaka.