July 17, 2008

Homemade Strawberry Icecream

Only recently did I start to experiment with preparing icecreams at home. After the intial success of the Cheesecake icecream, there was a break before I tried another one. I made Banana icecream (yet to be posted) and immediately after, this Strawberry Icecream (I mean yesterday!). This turned out above my expectations and was really creamy, soft and melted in our mouths! I dont have an icecream maker, so I was apprehensive while making it! But everything worked out great. I really should say that homemade strawberry icecream has more flavour and fresh fruit taste than store-bought ones. It also had the tiny crunch of the seeds which was a delight! I had just made half the recipe and now I only have a few scoops left. I wish I had made more!! This recipe is super easy and within hours you can have fresh homemade icecream!! Do try this out as soon as possible! Check out the tips for those who dont have any icecream machine and for tips on how to make a chocolate cup for serving the icecream. Enjoy!!


You scream I scream we all scream for icecream.... Do you know that it is also the lyrics of a song? Anyways, with many events in the foodie blog world about icecreams, I got to know that July is the National Icecream month! What a tasty month! Had I known that before, July would have been my favourite month!! WINK!


Recipe (Makes 1 quart) :

Whole fresh strawberries - 2 1/2 cup
Whole milk - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 2
Sugar - 2/3 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Whipping cream - 1 cup

Method:

In a blender or a food processor, add the milk, eggs and strawberries.

Puree until smooth and well-blended.

Transfer into a large bowl.

Add the sugar, vanilla and whipping cream.

Stir well.

Transfer to an icecream maker.

Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Tips:
  1. I only made half the recipe.
  2. If using frozen strawberries, use unsweetened frozen fruit, thawed before pureeing.
  3. I dont have an icecream maker and I used a handmixer to whip the icecream to a creamy consistency. Trust me, it works!
  4. Once you stir in the cream, vanilla and sugar, mix the icecream using the whip attachment (not the beaters) of an electric mixer or use an ordinary whisk.
  5. Mix for 2-3 minutes every hour for 3 hours and then freeze until set.
  6. Chocolate cup was made by lining a small bowl with plastic wrap and then spreading melted chocolate over it and freezing until set.

I am sending my Strawberry icecream to,











  1. Fresh produce of the month - Strawberries hosted by An Italian in the US.
  2. Sweet Series - Cool Desserts hosted by Mythreyee of Paajaka.

22 comments:

Laavanya said...

Those scoops of strawberry icecream look perfect & delicious JZ - yum yum. Thanks for the steps on making these without an ice cream maker.

ranji said...

FANTASTIC...i can have that whole thing..strawbery is my hubby's fav mine is chocolate..well u have both in thr:)...those are gr8 tips u have given especially using the handmixer every hr..didnt know that at all..never tried making icecream becoz i had no icecream maker..just made kulfi coz that didnt need any machine:)...excellent post JZ..:)

Trupti said...

I love any kind of ice cream..if you have some ice-cream remained just send me some.

Cham said...

After choco , straw will be my fav! Looks fantastic, i would finish the whole bowl JZ!

TBC said...

JZ- the texture is just amazing, especially since it's without using an ice cream maker. Great job!
I love the edible cup! No need for any clean up. You should have made a spoon too to go with it.:D

Dori said...

Wow, you made this without an ice-cream maker!!! It looks so good! I still haven't attempted making ice-cream at home because I don't have an ice cream maker... but it looks like yours turned out perfect!

Sum Raj said...

i never trie making icecreams...urs looks perfect iccy cool strawberry....am impressed jz

Sonia said...

Hi dear,
Ohhh....look so tempting.I luv strawberry as a fruit but don't like strawberry flavoured ice-cream or anything. BUT, here, ur ice-cream recipe certainly made me convinced to try it home.
Thanks for sweet and nice recipe.
Will let u knw abt outcome.
Sonu:))

delhibelle said...

finally!
perfect looking ice cream without ice cream maker, thanks for the inspiration buddy:)

Sujatha said...

Looks fabulous! The color, the texture everything looks perfect, especially when made without ice-cream maker. Great entry, JZ!

Uj said...

Wow.. Strawberry ice cream is my fav.. and your pic looks just perfect..I tried making ice cream once but it was a utter failure as it turned out to be too sweet.. Never had the guts to try it again.. Thanks for instructions to make ice cream without an ice cream maker.. will definitely try it out.. yummy...

bha said...

I thought somebody was on a diet and had decided to refrain from all things sweet ...........:P

Those scoops are perfect and the chocolate cup is out of the world.

Mansi said...

that looks lovely JZ! nothing comes close to homemade ice cream:)

Sunshinemom said...

That pic got me drooling - I know converting this vegan will be difficult but can't help admiring the pic:)

Rachel said...

That looks so temtping especially when served ina choc cup!!! Nice

Pooja said...

oh My my , that looks so nice :) . I can eat ice-cream even when its snow falling outside :D .

bee said...

what a great and simple recipe!! i don't have an icecream machine either.

Swati Raman Garg said...

wowwwww... u leave me awestruck at every creation of yours... seriously... too good....hats off to u ....

Unknown said...

Hi JZ, how do you capture such a beautiful shot! Very delicious ice cream indeed!

chemcookit said...

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing!
Thanks a lot for taking part to the event :)

Anonymous said...

Hey..after a long time I tried one of your recipe...have been pretty happy with the mango icecream. Today we had some strawberries which were getting alitle too ripe. Made it using the iceream maker. I added few drops of rose essence I had in my pantry and it brought in an "indian ness" to teh strawberries.My daughter loved it as Strawberries r her fav fruit and we all did too.
Will try choclate bowl next time..if I can make individual sized bowls-like maybe in muffin pan-no clue though-we try and let you know.

Uj said...

I made this sometime back it came perfect. Have posted in my blog too