July 25, 2008

Sichuan Beef Stir-fry

I have a little news to share, I have family "coming over" to my home for about 2+ months. Yes, my in-laws are coming for a small vacation to the US. They will reach here on Monday. Hopefully I would be able to continue posting regularly, but be prepared to see more traditional Kerala recipes from now on. There might be some other posts in between, and ofcourse some dessert recipes too, but mostly it would be of the traditional recipes that I am going to learn from my MIL. This is why I am pretty busy nowadays, getting the house ready for the arrival of our "guests".


Recently on a trip to the grocers, I picked up this small packet of Asian Sichuan seasoning mix (powder form) which was tucked away in a corner beside the more popular stir-fry sauces and noodles. I also picked up some Japanese stir-fry blend from the frozen section which actually is a blend of broccoli, carrots, snowpea pods, onions and mushrooms. I knew I would be able to make a sizzling meal out of these two. I wasnt wrong! The color of the dish was just awesome, and very appetizing. We all had a very satisfying meal, thanks to the wonderful flavor imparted by the unassuming packet of seasoning mix - Szechwan (as on the packet). The stir-fry can be made vegetarian by omitting the meat, or beef can be replaced by the all-time favorite chicken or pork. Experiment with your favorite blend of vegetables and enjoy!!



Recipe (Serves 5) :

Beef - 3/4 lb, cut into strips
Sugar - 1 tsp
Soy sauce - 3 tbsp
Water - 1/4 cup
Oil - 2 tbsp
Fresh mushrooms - 1/4 lb, sliced
Bamboo shoots - 1 can, drained
Japanese stir fry mix - 8 oz, frozen **
Hot & Spicy Sichuan/Szechwan seasoning mix - 1, (3/4) oz packet


Method:

Combine the seasoning mix, sugar, soy sauce and water.

Blend and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oil, add meat and stir-fry until browned.

Add the frozen stir-fry vegetables and saute until cooked and tender.

Toss in the sliced mushrooms and bamboo shoots, stir-fry.

Add the seasoning mxiture.

Stir fry for another minute or until thickened.

Serve the stir-fry over noodles or fried rice.

Tips:

  1. I served the stir-fry on a bed of enriched lomein noodles.
  2. Chicken or pork can be substituted for beef in this recipe.
  3. Make a quick vegetable stir-fry by omitting the meat.
  4. The actual recipe called for fresh vegetables. So instead of the stir-fry vegetables blend, you can use onion (1 medium, sliced), carrots (2, sliced) and red or green bellpepper (1, sliced).
  5. I did not use bamboo shoots.
  6. Stir-fry over high heat so that the vegetables would stay crisp.


I am sending this stir-fry to the "Eat Healthy - Protein Rich" event at Sangeeth's Art of Cooking Indian Food. Check out my other entries like,

Chicken tikka masala
Noodles with Peanut Sauce
Stir-fried Chicken with Mango
Baked Buffalo Wings
Chicken tikka
Diced Chicken with Vegetables
Hot and Sour Pork with Celery
Sweet and Sour Chickpeas

Have a great weekend ahead!!

I had been tagged by Skribles of Food with a pinch of love for a meme which I had already done. Check this out for my previous post on the meme! But today, the five things on my to-do list are

Keeping in touch with my friends
Cleaning the house (to welcome my in-laws!) and more cleaning!
Cooking
Blog-hopping
Shopping

Anyone who is interested can take up the tag and enjoy doing it!! :-)

11 comments:

Laavanya said...

Looking fwd to the authentic Kerala recipes.. :) Enjoy your time with your in-laws...
Your presentation is always so pretty.

ranji said...

lovely JZ...but i thought u will be posting moosa today :D...I love sichuan food..delicous stir fry to go along witht he noodles..beautiful presentation as usual :)...looking fwd to authentic kerala recipes for the next 2 months..enjoooy!!!magic lamp for u in my blog :)

Cham said...

Do not forgot to take pict of ur keralite dishes :)
Love ur Beef stir fry,May be i should be looking any substitute for beef to make it!
Enjoy your time with ur in laws!

Sujatha said...

Enjoy your time with your in-laws! I can't wait to see your traditional kerala recipes :) Your stir-fry looks gorgeous, I will try it with chicken...

Illatharasi said...

I never tried beef, so will try replacing it ;)

Have a great time and waiting for your Keralite recipes :)

Sangeeth said...

even my inlaws house they dont eat beef....may b we can substitute with something else...nice entry

Sum Raj said...

woo kool...waiting 4 ur kerala recipe..do enjoy ur days with ur loved once...ur sichuan food looks delicious and mind blowing and divine...

Sonia said...

Hey...I always read ur new post eventhough u presented a non-veg dish b'caz I love to read ur writing:) Well,Have a nice time with ur family.enjoy ur days fullest with them!
and hey...don't forget to post some new veg dishes and desserts for us as we some ppl are vegetarian;):)BTW, I wud love to learn the Kerala recipes. Awaiting for new yummy dishes.
Keep it up.
Your fan-cum-faithfull reader,
Sonu:))

Rachel said...

Hey J. Have a fun time when ur inlaws are in.

This stir fry looks like an easy one..lovely presentation as always!

Priyanka said...

Chinese is an all-time favorite....loved your different shakes&smoothies.....will be trying them out since i m on a healthy eating spree these days....have fun with your in-laws

Sig said...

lovely beef dish JZ... And enjoy all the homemade traditional dishes, don't forget to take some pics and blog those family favorites... :)