July 2, 2008

Classic Italian Tiramisu and my 100th Post !!!

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Hi friends, this post is special to me because this is my 100th post, a mile-stone in my world!! When I started this blog on a whim, I never knew or even think about how long I would be able to carry this on. I still am not sure about that, but I know that I've reached a mile-stone in less than 5 months. I am so happy today for my blog is still alive and kicking, only because of the support each of you gave me. I have acquired some good friends through blogging, a few grew to be more personal friends. The encouraging words and enthusiastic responses you all leave me make me want to do this in some way for the rest of my life!! :-) Thanks again, and I hope you will continue your support and love. On that sweet note, I am going to share with you a sweet delight, which is nothing less than irresistible!!



I had heard a lot about her far and wide. Many a blogger has written poetically about her, many women envy her and want to be desirable like her, many men have fallen for her awesome looks. Yet I had never heard about her until recently neither did I have the chance to catch a glimpse of her. Finally my curiosity got the best of me and I put my foot down. I have to, I mean HAVE TO get to know her...I wanted to make TIRAMISU!



Mascarpone is an Italian dessert cheese which is not that common in the US. I searched far and wide for mascarpone cheese and ladyfingers, but it looked like it was not meant to be. Finally I learned about a Trader Joe's near my house! I never knew of this shop which was accessible to me! (I had read about this shop on many blogs, but I thought we didnt have one in MN!) Anyways, the price of mascarpone at Trader Joe's when compared to another high-end shop was nothing! Finally, yeah fiiiiiinally I had everything to make the most famed Italian dessert Tiramisu. Tiramisu literally means "pick me up", and thats what happened at our house. JM had been hearing a lot about "this dessert that I am going to make" for a longtime and he was quite impatient to taste it. I told him to wait until its chilled, but after 10 minutes, the temptation took over me too! We gobbled down two generous helpings in no time!! WOW! It sure was irresistible. It sure is a very rich dessert, so we have to limit it to special occassions. If you havent already, do try it out. There are many variations of the basic recipe but this one sure is a yummylicious one and an excellent no-bake dessert!! :-)


Recipe (Serves 6-8 ) :

Mascarpone cheese - 1 1/4 lb
Eggs - 5, separated, at room temperature
Caster sugar - 1/2 cup
Salt - a pinch
Sponge fingers - as needed
Strong espresso coffee - 1/2 cup
Brandy or rum - 4 tbsp (optional)
Cocoa powder - unsweetened, to sprinkle

Method:

Beat the mascarpone in a small bowl until soft.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar (reserving 1 tbsp) until the mixture is pale yellow and fluffy.

Gradually beat in the softened mascarpone.

Using an electric whisk or wire whisk, beat the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks.

Fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture.

Line one large or 6-8 individual serving dishes with a layer of sponge fingers.

Add the reserved sugar to the coffee and stir in the brandy or rum, if using.

Sprinkle the coffee over the sponge lining, it should be moist but not saturated.

Cover with half of the egg mixture.

Add a layer of sponge fingers moistened with coffee and cover with the remaining egg mxiture.

Sprinkle with cocoa powder.

Chill for atleast an hour, preferably more, before serving.

Source: Desserts 500 Delicious Recipes, Edited By Ann Kay.

Tips:

  1. I only made less than half (with 8oz mascarpone) the recipe.
  2. I lined a loaf pan with cling wrap and assembled the Tiramisu in it.
  3. I has used 2 packets of sponge fingers 3 oz each, so I used them up. Ideally if you halve the recipe like I did, you would need only one 3 oz package.

I also have an award to share. Srilekha of Me and My Kitchen passed on to me the Yummy Blog Award. Thanks Sri, I really am happy that you find my blog to yummy!! I would like to pass this onto,


Ranji of Ranji's Kitchen Corner
EC of Simple Indian Food
Sailaja of Sailaja's Recipes
Maheswari of Beyond the Usual

I have been tagged for a meme by Divya of Easy Cooking. Thanks a lot Divya, and I will do the meme shortly :-).

30 comments:

Rachel said...

Congrst on the 100th post and in 5 months..Wow!!! Tiramisu is so apt to celebrate this milestone..Looks heavenly!!1

Congrts on all the awards.

ranji said...

wooooooow..Jz tiramasu truely are irresistable!!!i havent been able to have a bite of it yet bt i hope to do so soon...i know i will love it and will go on to be one of my favs:)....great job as usual...presentation is outstanding:)...
Congrats on ur award...it will be surprising if u dont receive one everyday:)..and u r very very very kind enough to pass onto me too..
PS:- when are u free for a google chat?..i will be online for some time now..do come if u r free..been some time since the last time we spoke:)...

EC said...

wow...so many nice things in one post..congrats for the 100th post and award..All the best to cross many such landmarks..Thanks for the award

FH said...

HeHe! I want to meet her one day!! Looks delcious. I always order it for dessert other than the Apple pie! I am still looking for those Ladies fingers cookies for thes, got to make it one day.

Happy 100th post, it is very special for us. It took whole year for me to reach 100th!:D

Enjoy blogging, hugs!

bha said...

this is one dessert i have heard of it so much but the only time i tasted it was while having dinner on a flight....:)
The pics are lovely, and inspire me to make my own

Unknown said...

JZ..yet another plate to make me drool early in the morning.hmm..i know not so early, but just got up and sipping coffee..:))).There is saying in tamil "intha sappadu seytha kayikku vairam than podanum" menaing "The hands which made this yummy food should wear diamond"..hope JM sees this comment..:lol.Really great lookinf desert.Tiramisu, i haven't tasted or dared to try it yet.You have tempted me so much, i might try it out soon..atleast the tasting part.Thanks for passing me the award,i need this support as i struggle finding time to do what i like inspite of kids running/crawling all over the house..:D

Illatharasi said...

Congratulations on your 100th post!!!

I agree with Maheswari, you deserve a diamond bracelet;) for those beautiful recipes and great presentations:)

Sailaja said...

Congrats on the 100th post. Too good Tiramisu. I just feel like having a bite ............

Thanks for passing the award to me..........

Laavanya said...

Hey.. Congrats on your 100th post!! That was real fast.

Tiramisu looks awesome and what are those chocolate bits? Nutties? I ask because i simply adore nutties... :)

Cham said...

Congrats on your century in months! What a beautiful way to celebrate with tiramisu! I would love to have that piece right now! Great job and keep blogging :)

Uma said...

mmm. tiramasu looks delicious. congrats on reaching the milestone and congrats on the award too.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious. Tiramisu is one of my fav desserts but never made it at home. So whats sponge fingers?
Congrats on the 100th post:-)
u r responsible for many of our friends trying out new recipes..haven't had time to try any recently..this one I will soon..

TBC said...

I'm surprised that u were unable to find Mascarpone in your regular grocery store there. Here, I get it from my regular store, but it is not found in the dairy aisle along with the other usual kinds of cheese. They have a separate specialty cheese section. You probably know all this... just thought I'd mention... Mascarpone is something I discovered not too long ago & I use it in desserts very often these days.


A 100 posts in less than 5 months!! That's some serious blogging! Congrats.:D

The tiramusu looks fab and the presention is lovely!

Sagari said...

beautiful presentation ,cograts for the 100'th post

Chef Jeena said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! I love tiramisu, your version is lovely and yo uhave plated it up so elegantly. :-)

Trupti said...

hey JZ Congrats on 100th Post and award. You deserve all awards girl.

Tiramisu looks delicious and as usual nice presentation and nice photos.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your century dear JZ! Your tiramisu looks perfect and is dressed upto the occasion. Great going!

vandana rajesh said...

congrats jz..your blog posts and the wonderful pics have always been a pleasure. Looking forward to more of the yummy treats.

Deepthi Shankar said...

yummy tiramisu ... my all time fav :)

Srikitchen said...

wow.. you are my INSPIRATION JZ! what a dessert... surprise for u in my blog

Aditi..............:) said...

hey dear first time on your blog.....lovely blog!!!!!!!
I will keep peeping from now on....!!

Green chilli said...

JZ, congrats on your 100th post. Keep on going.

ST said...

Yummmmmmm.......tiramasu looks delicious. congrats on reaching the milestone and congrats on the award too......

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Rachel and Ranji! Ranji, would love to chat sometime soon..

Thanks EC and Asha! Asha if you have a Lunds/Byerlys or any other gourmet food shop near you place, you would find them there. You can also bake them at home!!

Hehe Bhags, try making them and invite us over :-)

Thanks a lot Mahesweari, I really am flattered! It feels good to know that you like my creations a lot! Will have to show this to JM..Thanks!! The wait for the diamond continues! :-)

Thanks a lot Illatharasi, Sailaja and Laavanya! Glad u loved it!!

Thanks Cham and Uma!

Hey Sonia, thanks, and sponge fingers are the finger shaped sponge cakes that layer the tiramisu. :-)

Thanks a lot TBC, and yeah I didnt find it at my local grocery place. Maybe I didnt look enough!

Thanks a lot Sagari, Jeena and Trupti! :-)

Sounds great Roma, Vandana and VP!

I am coming over Srilekha! You are spoiling me! ;-)

Thanks a lot Aditi, GC and Sireesha! :-)

Sig said...

Hey Happy 100th dearie... Wow, it is a great milestone to hit in just 5 months! That Tirmaisu looks out of this world.... You really know how to plate your dessert... :)
Keep up the great work... may you hit the 1000 posts milestone soon! :)

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot Sig, I too hope I will be able to make it to the 1000th post!! :-)

Unknown said...

Wow tiramisu looks cool:) The first time I tasted tiramisu, it tasted of alchohol, and I didnt quiet like it, but i had one last month during a potluck and it tasted heavenly, thanks for posting this wonderful dessert:)

Dori said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! Also, on your award :) The Tiramisu looks delicious!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Roopa and Meeso!

Sunshinemom said...

Wow! Thats a good one for a 100th post! Simply irresistible:)