July 14, 2008

Stir fried Chicken with Mango



Once again I made something just for an event on the Foodie blog world, for MM - Mango Mania hosted by Meeta of Whats For Lunch Honey? I should say I managed to come up with it just in the nick of time because today is the last day for the entries. This recipe is from the Chinese cookbook which has become my favourite in no time. The main feature of these Chinese recipes is that the prep work takes the time whereas the cooking is real quick with thin strips of meat and veggies cooked rapidly over high heat. I made this stir fry yesterday and had it for lunch. We had it with plain basmati rice which wasnt a good idea (they didnt taste great together!). I thoroughly enjoyed the stir fry with chunky mango pieces and chicken in a tasty sauce. JM really didnt like the mangoes in his share, but ate it anyways! ;-) So I guess this stir fry is for people who love mangoes and for those who like sweet and spicy stuff in the same dish. The white wine lends a distinct flavor to this dish, so try not to do without it. It also is not very spicy and could be considered kid friendly too!! My only suggestion would be to serve it with fried rice or noodles. Enjoy!!


Recipe (Serves 4) :

Boneless chicken breast - 1 lb, skinless
Salt - 1/2 tsp
White pepper - 1/4 tsp
Fresh ginger - 1 tsp, finely chopped
Egg white - 1 small
White wine - 2 tbsp
Minced garlic - 1 tsp
Ketchup - 4 tbsp
Hot red pepper sauce - 2 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Soy sauce - 1 tsp
Mango - 1
Green bell pepper - 1 small
All-purpose flour - 2 tbsp
Cornstarch - 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil - 2 tsp



Method:

Trim the fat from the chicken and cut the chicken into 2 by 1/2" strips.

In a medium bowl, mix together salt, white pepper, ginger and egg white.

Add the chicken, toss, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the white wine, garlic, ketchup, red pepper sauce, sugar and soy sauce. Set aside.

Peel the mango and cut into 2 by 1/2" strips.

Place the mango strips in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes; drain.

Core and seed the green pepper and cut into 2 by 1/2" strips.

In a small bowl, mix the flour and cornstarch together.

Toss with the marianted chicken to coat and set aside.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Add the vegetable oil and chicken pieces.

Stir and separate the chicken pieces.

Cook for 2 minutes.

Add the sauce mixture and green pepper and stir well.

Cook for 1 minute and add the mango.

Cook and stir until well mixed, about 30 seconds.

Serve hot.

Source: Everyday Chinese Cooking by Leeann Chin and Katie Chin.



Tip:
  1. The stir-fry would taste best when served with Chinese fried rice or noodles.



I am also sending this stir-fried chicken to the "Eat Healthy Protein Rich" event at Sangeeth's Art of Cooking Indian Food.


I received the "Friendship" award from Trupti of Recipe Center. I am so happy to know that I am lucky enough to be considered a friend by some of the bloggers. Thank you so much Trupti! I really appreciate your loving gesture.




I would like to pass this on to,

Vandana Rajesh of Cooking up something nice
Vani of Mysoorean
Maheswari of Beyond the Usual
Madhuram of Eggless Cooking
Cham of Spice-club

Enjoy your awards and have a nice day!

20 comments:

Beyond Curries said...

I might try this dish with tofu instead of chicken. It looks colorful. Thank your for passing the friendship award JZ.

You had left me a thank you note for referring you to DK. Please don't mention JZ. I really admire your work and good things have to be mentioned. So it's my pleasure.

Laavanya said...

Mango must add a nice sweet touch to this stir-fry... Looks pretty too.

Congrats on your award :)

Unknown said...

oh..i don't know whether you got my last comment.So i am doing it again.

Yet another delicious bowl to droll over.I am sweet n' spicy kinda girl..err...woman...:-D.I loved the touch of sesame seeds on top making the bowl even prettier.Since we are a family of chicken lovers , now including meha, it is a must try for me.Thanks for thinking about me and passing the award.Means a lot.

Cham said...

I love ur mango chicken. The sweet tangy mango mixed with spice gives a different taste!
Congrats on ur award Dear and thank you to pass this friendship note!

Rachel said...

wow!!

Love the colour..but I would make it without mango..am not a fan of sweet and spicy in the same dish...

Srikitchen said...

what a colorful and yummy recipe... superb!

notyet100 said...

looks delicious,..hvent tried mngo with chicken yet,..

KALVA said...

mango, sesame seeds and chicken.. my husband would definitely loves it...

Sangeeth said...

yummy recipe dear....thanks for the entry :)

bha said...

did u use fresh mango.......:P

Nice color

Chef Jeena said...

Great entry it looks fabulous. :-)

Dori said...

Well, the dish looks very pretty! I bet it tastes great! Congrat's on your award :)

Kalai said...

I just posted a similar dish on my blog, JZ! Now that's a funny coincidence, huh?? Yours looks superb!! Will try it out soon! :)

Sujatha said...

Mango Chicken sounds yummy, JZ! A sweet and sour taste without the sauce! Way to go :)

Illatharasi said...

Great combination.... picture shows it delicious :( happy, atleast I can have a look;)

ranji said...

this one is awesome..i have eaten this one in a restaurant..its so good
sweet and sour combo :)...lovely entry...
Yesterday i prepared ur pineapple fried rice..it was really good...slight sweetness of the pineapple simply accented the taste..but unfortunately i couldnt take photos :(...was kind of busy yesterday...

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot for your wonderful and encouraging words Madhu! I really appreciate it!!

Thanks Laavanya!

It was my pleasure to pass the award to you Maheswari! Thanks a lot for your comments!

Thanks Cham, it was my pleasure!

Oh, so you are not a sweet and sour person, Rachel? ;-)

Thanks Srilekha, notyet100, kalva and sangeeth!

Yes Bhags, I did use fresh mango! :-)

Thanks Jeena and Meeso!

That sure was a big coincidence Kalai! Yours look prettier!!

Thanks Sujatha, Vani and Ranji! Its great that you could try out the friedrice, Ranji! Thanks for the feedback..

Vani said...

Chicken with mango looks super-delicious, JZ! So colorful & pretty!
Thanks for the friendship badge, JZ! How very sweet of you to think of me! Hugs!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Vani, it was my pleasure my friend!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so tasty! Great idea to cook the chicken with mango :). I would love to feature your recipe on our blog and the Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested :). Thanks!