May 13, 2008

Chocolate-cookie roll


Chocolate-cookie roll is another one of the recipes that I found in my old handwritten recipe book. This is a quick cookie dessert which does not involve much prep work, look stunning and is more or less a kids-friendly recipe. It is basically an ice-box cookie in which a layer of grated sweetened coconut is spread on a cookie dough base and frozen until set. This makes for a good presentation and kids will definitely love these cookie rolls! I made these for the first time when I was a kid and then it sat forgotten among the other recipes in my recipe book which itself was forgotten. Now that I have rediscovered it, I am definitely going to post more recipes from it. Enjoy !

Recipe:

For the main layer:

Graham crackers/Arrowroot biscuits - 200g (~7 oz), powdered
Cocoa powder - 1 tbsp
Coffee powder - 1 tsp (optional)
Milk - as needed

For the inner layer:

Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 1 tbsp
Butter - 1 tsp

Method:

Stir together the ingredients for the inner layer and keep aside.

Mix together the ingredients for the main (cookie dough) layer adding just enough milk to form a smooth dough.

Roll out the brown dough into a 1/4" thick rectangle on a parchment paper.

Spread the white coconut layer over the cookie dough.

Gently roll the cookie dough from the shorter side taking care not to enclose any parchment paper.

Cover the roll with plastic wrap and place it the freezer to set.

When hard, slice the roll into 1/2" pieces.

Serve cold (not frozen).


Tips:
  1. I used powdered graham crackers.
  2. If only sugar-free crackers are available, 3.5 oz (100g) of sugar can be added to make it sweet, if desired.

11 comments:

EC said...

Mouth watering...I want them now

@the_whisk_affair said...

sure! you can have some, dear EC!

Unknown said...

Lovely rolls:) this is my first time here, you have a wonderful blog:) found you through ranji's blog:) malayali aanalle?:) njanum:) Nice meeting you here:) I am planning to prepare thr rolls :) will let you how it comes out:)

@the_whisk_affair said...

thanks roopa! do let me know how it turned out..glad i could get to know u!

ranji said...

hi tt!!!thank u so much for visiting my blog and also for the comment...yes i am from kerala!!!But my mother tongue is konkani:)very happy to know u a malayali blogger!!
i loved these cookie rolls..so simple to make..bookmarked:)..will make it this weekend and let u know how it came out..

Meera said...

Ooh, they look so fabulous. Lovely.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

looks great and easy to make. I live in sydney and i have not seen grham crakers here, is there any substitute?

Unknown said...

the roll looks awesome..nice presentation too

@the_whisk_affair said...

thanks anonymous and divya! :-)

anonymous, i think you can substitute any plain cookies for this. try to find some arrowroot cookies or glucose biscuits.

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Amazing... I am gonna try this on wednesday tooo :)

anudivya said...

You are very kind JZ! Thanks!
ANd you have a lovely blog yourself... I only wish I could see the recent posts on the front page, is that possible or didn't I look properly... sorry..