May 5, 2008

Our Wedding Anniversary & a Berry Bonanza cake


First of all, let me wish my husband "Many many happy returns of the day!" Happy Wedding Anniversary from me to you dear JM !

I have been meaning to bake a cake just so I could try out a design that I saw as a project idea on joann.com. Thankfully my wedding anniversary came along and I decided to put my plan into action by surprising JM with a home- baked cake. I plotted every step in my mind starting with the type of cake. I thought of making a Madeira cake, then torting it (which never works great for me), layering with jam and finishing it off with vanilla buttercream frosting. But when I went grocery shopping I bought some cake flour and was instantly attracted by a recipe given on the box. I made the cake according to the package-recipe and decorated with the pattern of Joann project idea in my mind. This time I was patient than before, but again towards the end my impatience got the better of me. It didnt help to have a toddler whining in the background, " I want some, I want some.....". My li'l one is more persevere than me, she has no qualms about repeating the phrase until I give in or go mad! The design piped on the side didnt go as well as I planned, but I think I did a better job on top. Only after I tinted the stock of white frosting did I think that I should have introduced another color into the scheme. I was too lazy to whip up another batch of frosting and decided to do with what I had. I also piped the message "Happy Anniversary" with melted chocolate and when set, detached it from the parchment paper and stuck it on top of the cake. In the evening, I surprised JM with the cake and we were pleased with the results.

I would like to share with you all the words from the card JM gave me...

Happy Anniversary to my wife

I maybe kind of grouchy when I've had a lousy day,
And refuse to laugh or lighten up no matter what you say...
I sometimes start dumb arguments that go on far too long,
And I can drive you crazy 'cause, of course, I'm never wrong...
And there are times when watching TV seems to be my life,
But though I've got a fault or two... (the picture is funny, the wife holding a long list titled faults!!)

I SURE CAN PICK A WIFE !

I loooooved it. It was hilarious, I burst out laughing when I read the card because I could relate to the card. It isn't everyday a guy admits that he starts dumb arguments and throws a fit saying he is always right! The card had a pictorial representation of the words, which were fantastic. I wonder how he managed to get such a perfect card, it was as if it was made-to-order ! They are all true since nowadays he is very busy with work and we rarely get any time to relax together! The card was made trillion times better with a bouquet of flowers! Since he is busy tonight also, we cant go out to dinner. So I'm thinking of a quiet dinner with just the three of us..
Please dont forget to leave comments as to whether you like the cake or not!


This is also my entry to AFAM - Raspberries hosted by Dee of Ammalu's kitchen. A Fruit A Month is a monthly event started by Maheshwari of Beyond the Usual. Dee invited all to join the AFAM - Raspberries party this month and I'm bringing the dessert! Paaartaaay!


Raspberry-laced Vanilla Cake



Recipe (Makes 12 servings):

Cake flour - 3 cups
Baking powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Butter - 1 1/2 cups, softened
Sugar - 1 1/4 cups
Milk - 2/3 cup
Vanilla - 1 1/2 tsp
Eggs - 4, large
Seedless raspberry jam - 1 cup
No-Stick cooking spray with flour
Vanilla buttercream frosting - 1 recipe



Method:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Spray three 9" round cake pans generously with no-stick spray with flour.

Mix cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.

Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.

Beat in flour mixture, milk, vanilla and eggs on medium speed until blended, scraping the bowl occasionally.

Beat for 2 minutes more.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pans.

Bake 19-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in the pan.

Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.

Tips:
  1. I used butter and flour to prepare the cake pans.
  2. I made only 2/3 of the recipe for cake and I had two 8" cakes. It made a 4-layered cake.
  3. I used only about 1/2 cup of jam, since I didnt want the cake to be too sweet.
  4. I also tinted about 1/3 cup of grated coconut with green icing color to resemble grass.

Assembling the cake:

Cut each round cake into two equal layers.

Whip the jam with a fork to make it smooth and easily spreadable.

Tint a part of the white frosting dark green.

Tint a small part of the white frosting light green.

Place one layer on the cake board and fix using a bit of frosting on the bottom.

Pipe a circle of frosting along the edge of the cake using a plain round tip so as to prevent the jam/filling from leaking out to the surface.

Spread a thin layer of raspberry jam on the surface within the icing dam.

Place a second layer of cake over the lower layer and repeat with the icing and filling.

Once the fourth layer/final layer has been placed on top, crumb coat the cake with white vanilla buttercream frosting.

Allow the frosting to form a slight crust.

Now spread the frosting generously to coat the sides and top of the cake.

Smooth out the top and sides of the cake.

Pipe curved lines (vines) on the sides and top with a plain round tip #3, using the dark green frosting.

Pipe a few leaves with the leaf tip at intervals, using the light green icing.

Place raspberries at the ends of the vines.

Spread the tinted grated coconut along the bottom of the cake board.

Slice and serve.

Enjoy!!


Tip:

  1. I put the cake in the freezer for a minute or two after most of the steps to accelerate crust formation.

12 comments:

Sherin said...

Happy wedding anniversery!!!
kidilam cake.. mouth watering

SS said...

cake looks yummy....what happened to the presentation plates u usually use to show off ur creation??
I am sure cake tasted awesome..BTW the card was hilarious ut very cute
happy anniversary once again:-)

Unknown said...

visiting your blog for the first time..you have a great blog..lovely recipes with wonderful presentations....

Deepa Kuber said...

thats a lovely cake.. happy anniversary :)
i have tagged u for 10 pictures meme. u can do it if u r interested.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks for the wishes, Sherin & Sonia!

Sowmya, thanks for the compliments..visit again!

Anjali, thanks a lot for the wish! Thanks for tagging me, will be doing that soon.

Sherin said...

Hey, can i ask u how u made the choc 'anniversery' to stand up..... did u melt plain choc?

@the_whisk_affair said...

Hi Sherin, check this out for tips on chocolate garnishes. Hope this helps.
http://dessertpro.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-make-shaped-chocolate-garnishes.html

Dee said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary to both you and your husband JZ. What a way to celebrate it!!! I would have just ordered a cake , had I felt the need!!! Your cake is droolworthy!!! Love it!!! Thanks for participating.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Dee, the reason I did this cake is that I love cake decorating and is looking for chances to try out a new idea! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

belated happy anniversary..............visiting this blog for the first time,nice recepies with mouthwatering pictures.the best thing that i liked about the cake is the way you managed to write cursive writng.

shalini

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks for the wishes, Shalini. The cursive writing with chocolate doesnt always work :(, but we can always try! Visit again...

Sunshinemom said...

Looks nice and tasty! Am sure husband is not grouchy anymore:)