May 28, 2008

Mango breakfast crepes


I love mangoes, they are one of my favourite fruits. We go to the Indian store less frequently and this time I picked up a can of alphonso mangoes. There are mango based recipes all over the fellow bloggers' blogs and I couldnt decide on one! Finally when I saw the events list on Taste Of India, I decided to do a breakfast dish with mangoes. I had posted the recipe for french breakfast crepes a little while ago. So I decided to work with that recipe, changing it into a mango-ey dish. The results were good, would have been great if I had fresh mangoes! This is my entry to the WBB: Mango madness #22 hosted by Arundati of Escapades and started by Nandita of Saffron Trail .


I want to let you all in on something. My hus JM is my official food photographer (not to mention my guinea pig.... AHEM ... my taste tester), I am the chef and food stylist. I would tell him what kind of shots I need and he will do that for me. Sometimes it seems funny because I usually check if it is what I meant before he clicks, as if I am his client! (a real client-photographer relation!). Now this doesnt mean that I dont take pictures at all, there are my photos in the blog too, but I am satisfied only when he takes the pictures! I just mentioned it because I just wanted to thank JM for helping me take great pics for my blog and because he should get his due credit! We are combining his passion for photography and my passion for cooking and food styling into one - Tasty treats! I know the topic mentioned above and this one doesn't have any connection at all. But this is not something completely out of the blue. I've been meaning to write about his part in my blog for a long time and I didnt get anything related till now. So this time I just went ahead and did it. Anyways, you all enjoy the crepes!


Recipe (Makes about 12 crepes) :

All-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Butter - 2 tbsp, melted
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Large eggs - 2
Mango juice (from the can) - 1/2 cup
Mango slices or fresh mangoes - chopped, as needed
Whipped cream - for garnish (optional)

Mango sauce:

Mango juice (from the can)
Cornflour - 2 tbsp, dissolved in water

Drain the juice/syrup from the can into a saucepan. Bring it to a boil. Add the cornflour dissolved in water to the mango juice, one tablespoon at a time. When the sauce thickens, strain it using a strainer. Serve warm or cold.

Method:

In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Stir in milk, mango juice/syrup, butter (2 tbsp), vanilla and eggs.

Beat with the hand beater until smooth.

Lightly butter 6"-8" skillet or crepe pan and heat over medium heat until bubbly.

For each crepe, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter into skillet.

Immediately rotate the skillet until a thin layer of batter covers the bottom.

Cook until light brown.

Run a wide spatula around the edge to loosen, turn and cook the other side until light brown.

Repeat with the remaining batter, buttering the skillet as needed.

Place a crepe on a plate and place a bit of chopped mangoes towards the edge.

Roll up the crepe and place on the serving platter, end down.

Repeat for all the crepes.

Serve warm with mango sauce, whipped cream and fresh fruits.


Tips:
  1. The toppings/fillings can be varied according to your taste.
  2. Since I had canned mangoes, I made the sauce using the juice from the can. When using fresh mangoes, simply puree a few mango slices, if you would like a sauce.
  3. If you do not want to add mango juice to the batter, replace with milk.
  4. For those who want stronger mango flavor in the crepes, increase the quantity of mango juice and reduce the quantity of milk accordingly.
  5. If using only milk to make the batter, add 1 tbsp of sugar for very light sweetness.
  6. It is better to use fresh mangoes, because no matter what we think, canned mangoes just dont taste as good as the fresh ones!

18 comments:

FH said...

Gorgeous! Mango for breakfast, who doesn't want that? :)

Suganya said...

Hay I have also posted Mango crepes. What a coincidence..... Urs looks so good.... YUM!

Sum Raj said...

hey ur blog is awesom and i have addedd u on my blogroll......ur mangoes absolutly delicious and presentation is also very good....and also thank u so much for visiting my blog tooo..

Sangeeth said...

yummy JZ...

ranji said...

just yesterday i saw one mango crepe recipe and i hadnt even gotten over it when i see another delcious one here....perfect for breakfast..but i would eat this as a dessert:)...
well i am sure every bloggers husbands are their guinea pigs..who else would give an honest opinion otherwise:)...beautiful photographs..credit to JM:)

ranji said...

just yesterday i saw one mango crepe recipe and i hadnt even gotten over it when i see another delcious one here....perfect for breakfast..but i would eat this as a dessert:)...
well i am sure every bloggers husbands are their guinea pigs..who else would give an honest opinion otherwise:)...beautiful photographs..credit to JM:)

Rachel said...

lovely! The first pic is too good...including the presntation :)

Beyond Curries said...

Thanks for dropping by JZ. The same story in our house too. My husband is the official photographer. Earlier I was taking the pictures, since we bought a new camera now, he's learning it first and then he will be teaching me. As you said, he is also into photography, so maybe he will be taking them forever.

Nice recipe JZ. Thoough I can't make it because it has eggs, it's definitely a very good treat for others who don't mind eggs.

The Caked Crusader said...

Great photos!
I love the little swirl of cream on top of the crepes - very decadent!

Cham said...

Wow gorgeous ur crepe, love to eat at any time this treat

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot Asha, Sukanya, Suma, Sangeeth, Ranji, Rachel, Madhuram, TheCakedCrusader and Cham!

Sukanya, it was such a coincidence! I didnt see that you had posted it! Anyways looks like we r on the same wavelength!

Thanks Suma, come again!

Hey Ranji, will pass on the credits to JM.

Hiya Madhuram, I think most of my dessert recipes have eggs in them...i shud try to post more eggless recipes :-)

Once again, thanks to all of you who took time to drop me a comment and encouraged me!

Vani said...

The crepes look yum, JZ! And I must add the kashmirir pulao picture is so pretty & colorful!

bha said...

the crepes look so beautiful in the pics....but well, I hate mangoes

Purnima said...

Nice one JZ! A treat indeed wt that whipped cream atop the crepes! Wow!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

yummy recipe.... Sure makes a wonderful breakfast!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Vani, Bhags, Purnima and Ramya...Hey bhags, I'm surprised to find that someone hates mangoes!! :-)

TBC said...

I would love to have this for BF, or maybe even dessert! Yummy!

Kool Breeze said...

I made these for dinner last night with fresh mangoes. I added a tad of surup and butter to my mango sauce (since I had fresh Mangoes I didn't need the cornstarch) and served the crepes with bacon the salt from the bacon really complements the sweet of the Mango. For best result cook your bacon in the oven at 400 on a broiler pan, about 10-15 minute no need to turn it. It will come out perfect everytime. Then crumble over crepes and add your sauce.. They were yummy, thanks!