May 20, 2008

Cold tuna sandwich


We have had our share of visits to the sub-shop Subway, be it to grab a quick bite or to take home a big sandwich for dinner. The only way we would mostly eat raw vegetables is on a sandwich. When I try to eat salads, I use more dressing to offset the taste and I think I end up with more calories to burn than I would otherwise! I am not a big seafood buff, so I would always stick to the chicken/meat sandwiches. But JM would always order the cold tuna sandwich with his favourite vegetables (which is not many). So I had taken to recreating the sandwich at home with available supplies and has been pretty happy with it. Even I like the tuna sandwich since it doesnt taste very 'fishy'. This time I made it a little more elaborate since I would be sending this to the Sandwich festival 2008 at Anupama's Food-n-More. The sandwich festival would accept both veg and non-veg sandwich entries, so I had no trouble choosing the sandwich. You can always change the fillings to your taste and healthy eaters can skip the cheese and other dressings. I had a package of coleslaw vegetables (shredded cabbage and carrots) which I used as the basic vegetable filler, along with pickled banana peppers, olives, green bell peppers and american cheese on toasted french bread.



Recipe (Makes a footlong sandwich) :

French bread - 1 footlong
White chunky tuna in water - 1 can (6 oz)
Coleslaw mix - 1/2 cup
Mayonnaise/ Ranch - 1 1/2 tbsp
Olives - 8-10 nos, sliced
Celery - 1 small stalk, chopped
Green peppers - 1/4, sliced thin
American cheese slices - 2 cut, diagonally
Pickled banana peppers - as needed
Salt and pepper - as desired
Egg wash - with 1 egg (optional)

Method:

Transfer the tuna from the can to a bowl, draining the water.

Add the mayonnaise (I used ranch), salt and pepper to the tuna.

Beat the tuna with a fork until shredded and blended well with the dressing, salt and pepper.

Mix in the chopped celery.

Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Slit the bread horizontally so that it can be opened like a book.

Prepare the egg wash by beating an egg with a little water.

Apply the egg wash on the top and sides of the bread.

Place the bread in the preheated oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

Spread the tuna mixture over the lower flap of the sandwich. (Watch out for steam because the sandwich will be hot inside).

Top with the coleslaw veggies.

Toss the olives and the green peppers on top.

Top with cheese slices.

Serve immediately.


Tips:

  1. Onions, tomatoes, spinach, jalapenos, pickles and lettuce are just a few of the other topping options.
  2. Egg wash can be omitted. I used it because it gives a golden brown sheen to the bread when baked/toasted.

8 comments:

ranji said...

wow wow wow!!!the sandwich looks really good...i have made only fish cutlet using the canned tuna otherwise i never ate it...i want a big bite of this..very temoting photos JZ:).lovely entry.

Suganya said...

WOW!... that was a YUMMY sandwich... Looks so good. Love tuna sandwich a lot.

Anupama said...

Love Love Love Tuna in a sandwich. Thanks for a fantastic entry. See you at the round-up.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot Ranji, Sukanya and Anupama for your enthusiastic comments!! :-)

Swati Raman Garg said...

wuuu.. this looks fantastis.. garg wud surely lov it...

sunita said...

Tuna-mayonnaise sandwich with sweet corn and cucumber are my kids' favourites...in fact made some today...yours looks wonderful... just like they do in Subway :-)

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks Swati and Sunita! Swati, do try it out!

Anonymous said...

We call these "Hoagies" or submarine sandwiches around my neighborhood.

You've inspired me to make this for the next luncheon I have with my friends. Quick, easy, and healthy.

Thanks!