May 30, 2008

Lemon rice and a friendly feud !


Lemon rice was not made at home frequently so it was kind of a rare treat for me. Until now, I was not that into creating variety in the preparation of rice at home. But one of my friends prepares a wide variety of food whenever I go over to her place. She has introduced me to a lot of authentic dishes of Tamilians. She inspired me to try out the wide variety of recipes especially the ones for the rice! When I saw this recipe in a cookbook, I just couldnt stop myself from giving it a try, with such appealing ingredients like lemon juice and nuts and the mellow yellow color. I also like the occasional crunch from the split peas and cashews, I added a bit of peanuts to heighten the pleasure! Hey hey, I am still talking about lemon rice! This was my first time with lemon rice, and I am happy that I tried it, because I looooved it!! I would definitely make this again.


Picture 2:



JM and I had a little disagreement on the presentation of the lemon rice. So I thought it would be fun to conduct a poll here. I am keeping the poll un-biased, so I am not revealing our individual preferences. Please vote for your favourite set of photos (upper left corner of the blog). Set 1 (photos 1 & 3) are the pictures of lemon rice in the bowls, and set 2 (pics 2 & 4) includes the ones in the platter. It would be great if you all would let me know of your choice! Its a win-win situation anyways, its either me or him! Not a great battle, just a healthy polling feud :-). Have a great weekend!!

Picture 3:


Recipe:

Basmati rice - 1 1/2 cups, uncooked
Water - 3 cups
Bengal gram or split yellow peas - 1 tsp
Split raw cashews - 1 tbsp
Peanuts - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Black mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry leaves - 10 ( I didnt have any)
Ginger - minced, 1/2 tsp
Green chilli - minced, 1/2 tsp
Dried red chillies - 2-3, broken into pieces
White lentils (urad dal) - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 3 tbsp
Salt - as needed
Water - 1 tbsp
Fresh coriander leaves - for garnish

Method:

Boil the washed rice in water until the grains are just tender.

Drain thoroughly and set aside.

Dry roast the bengal gram, cashewnuts and peanuts in a skillet for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.

Set aside.

Heat the oil in the skillet, and stir-fry the mustard seeds until it begins to pop.

Add the ginger, chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves, bengal gram, cashews, peanuts, lentils and turmeric.

Continue to stir-fry and then add the lemon juice, salt and water ( 1 tbsp).

Allow it to simmer for a few minutes.

Toss in the rice and heat through.

Garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve with pappadums, pickle and raita.

Source: Authentic Recipes from India by Brinder Narula.


Picture 4:

Tips:

  1. Since I like the lentils in them so much, I added 1 tbsp of bengal gram, 1 tbsp cashews and 1 tbsp of peanuts. Adjust to your taste.
  2. I usually put salt while cooking the rice, so I didnt add any extra salt in the end. Test the saltiness before adding extra.
  3. I used 3 cups of cooked basmati rice (dont know if it is equivalent to 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice).

Dont forget to vote for the pictures. You have until midnight on Monday-June 2 to vote. Thanks!

I am sending this medley to the "Mixed Rice Varieties" event at Easy Craft's Simple Indian Food. EC is always coming up with interesting events, I just wouldnt miss participating in them!

UPDATE: I am sending this to "Rice Mela" hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons.

18 comments:

FH said...

I like the Pic-2, very creative,love the Chitranna too!:)

Sherin said...

'Star-pappadam' anu ee dish presentation le star.... ideakkanu kasu lle..... and I like set 1&3 better, but may be when u give t to ur guests set 2&4 would be mor epresentable I guess... anyways I've voted for my first choice..... let us see who wins!! will u let out the secret after 3 days... how exciting !!!

Nanditha Prabhu said...

i am for picture two! you flower pappads look awesomw...i loved the color of your dish .. thanks for the wonderful treat for the eyes....

Anonymous said...

presentationwise..PIc 2 is the best..awesome papdam star:-)

serving wise 1 and 3-being very diplomatic here. I vote for 2

Sangeeth said...

hey you have a surprise in my blog :)

Sangeeth said...

JZ I was the 3rd person to vote :) and I luved ur 2 nd pic very much!

Sum Raj said...

hmm lemon rice has got a nice look and tasty tasty ....and i loved ur presentation

ranji said...

oooh love lemon rice..it has come out perfect...i like all the pics..but if given a choice i prefer the ones in the bowl, feel more wholesome:)...though the other set is very creative and lovely as well.

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks you all for letting me know of ur choice and all of ur loving comments!

Thanks Asha, Sherin, Nanditha, Sonia, Sangeeth, Suma and Ranji!!

Suganya said...

Hi....
Lemon rice is my fav. U have presented very good. YUM!.... Nice pictures...

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Yum yumm I love the star shaped papad its soooo cute... lovely snaps Jz...:) I really enjoy visiting your blog...

Rachel said...

Like all of them...2nd one stands out in presentation...

Srivalli said...

very creative and beautiful pictures..loved all of them actually...but with that papad it looks very yummy though

bha said...

nice pics ....the flower papad is very creative

Hetal said...

Hey gal...love the way you present your recipes..just amazing.I voted for 2&4

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks for your comments Sukanya, Shubha, Rachel, Srivalli, Bhags and Hetal!

EC said...

I too loved the pic 2 a lot....thanks for participating

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks EC, its my pleasure!