May 5, 2008

Kerala-style Pork fry (Pork ulathiyath)

As we all know, pork is the culinary term for the meat from pigs and is one of the most consumed meats around the world. It is unclear if pork is considered a red meat or white but USDA considers pork as red meat (wiki). But leaner cuts of pork are probably healthier than beef. In India due to cultural and religious reasons many people do not eat pork. In some states it is not available. After my marriage, JM introduced me to pork as an interesting choice of meat. Coming from a typical carnivorous family, I had sampled pork before, but it was never my 'choice of meat'. Soon after we got married, he took me to one of his favourite restaurants in Ernakulam which had sweet and sour pour as one of its speciality. I fell in love with the dish then and there. I stuck to the recipe for sweet and sour pork the few times I had to make it.

Only after coming to US did we start to buy pork more often. I always try to make different Indian recipes of pork when I get a chance. The meat available in US is more tender, easier to cook and a good choice of lean cuts are also available. In search of another recipe for pork, I visited Sig's blog, Live to eat. I instantly knew that this recipe was going to be perfect for what I had in my mind. I was not wrong, try this out and you wont be disappointed. The recipe would be best made with pork belly cut which is fattier but I made it with a lean cut of pork, which still tasted great. The only change I would recommend is to reduce the amount of chilly powder. It was a bit spicy for our needs, especially since we have a toddler who eats the same food. But those who love spicy preparations dont have to look any further, this is the recipe for you. Thanks to Sig for the recipe. Hope you all would enjoy this version of Kerala style pork fry.

Recipe:

Pork - 1.5 lbs, cut into small pieces (use pork belly alone or ½ pork belly - ½ lean cut pork)
Onions - 1 cup, thinly sliced
Ginger - 2 tbsp, thinly sliced
Garlic - 2 tbsp thinly sliced
Tomato - 1/2 cup,
Green chillies - 3, slit
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste

For the masala powder:

Cardamom pods - 4
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 6
Black peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp

For final sauteeing:

Shallots - 1/4 cup, thinly sliced
Coconut slivers - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Method:

Mix the pork with the onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, tomatoes, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, ground masala powder and salt.

Cook the meat in a pressure cooker for about 6 minutes after the first whistle.

Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.

When cool, open the cooker, for the gravy formed which would mostly be fat.

Heat about 3-4 tbsp of this fatty liquid in a pan.

Heat on high, till most of the water from the gravy is evaporated and just some melted fat remain in the pan.

Add the shallots, coconut pieces and curry leaves to the pan.

Sauté until the shallots and the coconut pieces start to brown.

Pour the contents of the pressure cooker, along with the gravy into the pan.

Mix well and cook till all the liquid is evaporated.

Tips:

  1. I used nearly 2 lbs of lean pork and followed the quantities of the other ingredients as is. (I did not change the quantities proportionately).
  2. I didnt have tomatoes at the time, so omitted that. (This could be why the dish turned out a bit spicy).
  3. If using lean meat, add a bit of oil to the pan, to saute the shallots and coconut slivers.
  4. I made it without coconut slivers and curry leaves. ( Eventhough it wouldnt be as authentic as the dish made with them, we could also do without them).

No comments: