May 2, 2008

Potato snack patties

I recently found a handwritten recipe book, among the stuff I brought from India when we first moved here, which I used to keep when I was a teenager. I must have started the recipe book when I had a sudden but fleeting interest in the culinary arts at that age! I saw some easy recipes in the book which I remember getting from my aunt, who had gone to a local cooking classes for a time pass. In those days it must have sounded so much complicated to me. When I go through them now, I see that most of them are not that complicated, a few of them even dont have clear instructions. This is one of the recipes from that old recipe book which I had adorned with hand drawn pictures of fruits and desserts and categorised with simple titles. This can be served as a tea-time snack or as vegetarian appetizers.

Recipe:

Potatoes - 1 cup mashed
All-purpose flour - 3/4 cup
Milk or water - to mix
Butter - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Ginger - 1" chopped finely
Green chillies (serrano) - 1 chopped
Onion - 1 small, chopped
Bread crumbs or flour - to coat

Method:

Rub the butter into the flour.

Add the mashed potatoes and enough milk or water to make a smooth dough.

Stir in the chillies, onions and ginger into the dough and knead to distribute them evenly.

Shape the dough into a cylinder.

Cut out 1/4" slices.

Roll them in breadcrumbs or flour.

Heat oil in a saucepan and deep fry the potato patties until golden brown.

Serve warm with tomato ketchup.



Tips:

  1. I used potato flakes to make thick mashed potatoes.
  2. Eventhough the recipe mentions deep frying, I only shallow fried the patties giving enough time for the dough to cook.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

This sound fantastic, thanks for much for sharing!

@the_whisk_affair said...

thanks peggy, do try them out!